Did some damage today at Lowes:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

av8roc

Nov 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
Felt like I was hijacking Ray's Talk Force thread so I thought I would start another...

Took advantage of the Black Friday sale and a 10% off coupon I had so the wife and I did some christmas shopping today.

I picked up a Husky 445, Task Force Electric Splitter and Werner bench ladder.

I was going back and forth between the 42cc Poulan Pro and the Husky but I wanted a good all around saw that would last me some years to come. I don't plan on felling any trees, just bucking and limbing downed logs in my in-laws wooded yard.

Any recommendations on a good chain?

IMG00039-20091127-1924.jpg

Well it looks like you are ready to go ....EXCEPT.....I don't see any SAFETY GEAR!! Guess you just forgot to include it in the picture.. Safe sawing,and enjoy yourself.

M said:
Well it looks like you are ready to go ....EXCEPT.....I don't see any SAFETY GEAR!! Guess you just forgot to include it in the picture.. Safe sawing,and enjoy yourself.

Actually I've been researching PPE as well and I am absolutely going to buy a pair of Chainsaw boots, and chaps. I already have ear protection and safety glasses and I don't think I'll need a helmet if I'm not felling. Am I wrong?

You're going to love the 445 I got one last christmas and have been cutting up a 4' oak that had fallen over the summer. Just hold on when you start cutting that thing has some bite. I would go with the husky oil mix and 93 octane no ethanol. That's all I run in mine.

wolfram said:
Be sure to check out the Labonville "Black Friday" discount on chaps. Remember, it's not if, it's when....

I just took advantage of this today.

Nice haul ! I think you made a great choice in the husky over the poolan they are terrible saws. The helmet is still nice when cutting felled trees I have bonked my head on branches several times .

I agree, the helmet is nice - I've had a few times where the saw has knocked a hunk of bark off a trunk and tossed it back at me... Wouldn't have done any major damage but the helmet was nice... The other thing I found when I bought a plain muff and screen combo (and you DO want a screen, saw chips in the face hurt, even when they don't get in your eyes) is that the helmet, or at least it's harness, really helps hold everything else in place. The plain muff and screen combo was always flopping around on me.

Gooserider

Good score for sure, but I agree, the chaps should have been included. lowes carries the husky chaps at a very resonable price. Not that im a fan of the big boxxers, but even less of a fan of bleeding out on my own lawn. Safe cutting, and happy splitting!

By the way, pick up a stihl rs chain and sharpening kit, and never look back. Stihl chains seem to be the only way to go!

av8roc said:
M said:

Actually I've been researching PPE as well and I am absolutely going to buy a pair of Chainsaw boots, and chaps. I already have ear protection and safety glasses and I don't think I'll need a helmet if I'm not felling. Am I wrong?

Get The Husky Helment with the built in muffs and screen shield. Even if you never need it the helment is worth it's weight in convenience. All one piece right there and comfortable. Aside from that there is the other issue. A guy I work with never had one and finally broke down . Not long after he was trimming some light branches overhead got himself tired and snagged something. It wouldn't have cut his head off but instead of the nice vertical streak on the hat he would have used is head for a low speed chain brake. All in all it takes away the need to constantly fool with muffs and goggles almost completely and is sooooo much more comfortable to use. Try one on and you will fall in love.

OK you guys sold me on the helmet. I saw one at Lowes but now I can't find it online. I also didn't see chaps there either. I have to work the next couple of days but I will head back and see what I can find.

av8roc said:
Felt like I was hijacking Ray's Talk Force thread so I thought I would start another...

Took advantage of the Black Friday sale and a 10% off coupon I had so the wife and I did some christmas shopping today.

I was going back and forth between the 42cc Poulan Pro and the Husky but I wanted a good all around saw that would last me some years to come. I don't plan on felling any trees, just bucking and limbing downed logs in my in-laws wooded yard.

Hey AV I didn't think anyone was hijacking that thread.. I am surprised how well it has done though! I really like the setup you bought and looked at that chainsaw at Lowes last night.. I think you'll be in a good shape with that set up! I know people here tend to get excited about safety gear but I am guilty about using nothing more than safety glasses, steel toed boots and gloves (I wear ear plugs if I will be using the saw for an extended time).. I know they are right and I should wear the proper gear because there's no going back once the poop hits the fan! When I rode my motorcycle I told myself that you must have the gear on when you start the bike cuz accidents don't wait for you to get "safe" before the impact..

Ray

raybonz said:
av8roc said:

Hey AV I didn't think anyone was hijacking that thread.. I am surprised how well it has done though! I really like the setup you bought and looked at that chainsaw at Lowes last night.. I think you'll be in a good shape with that set up! I know people here tend to get excited about safety gear but I am guilty about using nothing more than safety glasses, steel toed boots and gloves (I wear ear plugs if I will be using the saw for an extended time).. I know they are right and I should wear the proper gear because there's no going back once the poop hits the fan! When I rode my motorcycle I told myself that you must have the gear on when you start the bike cuz accidents don't wait for you to get "safe" before the impact..Ray

OK thanks Ray. I didn't want that thread to get derailed as it has so much good info. I played around with the splitter last night in the garage and I was very impressed. It's much more solid than I expected.

On another note I took a run to Lowes before I leave for work today and I picked up a set of the husky chaps. I didn't get the helmet because I've already got glasses and ear protection. I will get the helmet after my checkbook cools down after the holidays though for sure.

av8roc said:
raybonz said:
av8roc said:

Hey AV I didn't think anyone was hijacking that thread.. I am surprised how well it has done though! I really like the setup you bought and looked at that chainsaw at Lowes last night.. I think you'll be in a good shape with that set up! I know people here tend to get excited about safety gear but I am guilty about using nothing more than safety glasses, steel toed boots and gloves (I wear ear plugs if I will be using the saw for an extended time).. I know they are right and I should wear the proper gear because there's no going back once the poop hits the fan! When I rode my motorcycle I told myself that you must have the gear on when you start the bike cuz accidents don't wait for you to get "safe" before the impact..

OK thanks Ray. I didn't want that thread to get derailed as it has so much good info. I played around with the splitter last night in the garage and I was very impressed. It's much more solid than I expected.

On another note I took a run to Lowes before I leave for work today and I picked up a set of the husky chaps. I didn't get the helmet because I've already got glasses and ear protection. I will get the helmet after my checkbook cools down after the holidays though for sure.

Ray

I only wear the helmet when droping a tree,may not be corect but I like the radio head phone the best

smokinjay said:
av8roc said:
raybonz said:
av8roc said:

Ray

I only wear the helmet when droping a tree,may not be corect but I like the radio head phone the best

That was what I was originally thinking, I won't be downing any trees for now so I should be ok for the time being.

While I agree with the people that say get a helmet, I will say that I own the Husky helmet and don't particularly care for it, for just one reason - The harness is a low cost "tab and slot" setup, like a cheap baseball hat. Makes it difficult to adjust the fit to match any liners or other headgear you might be wearing under it, or even just for a "bad hair day"... There are other helmet setups in the same price range that have a ratchet knob size adjuster that I think would be much better.

Gooserider

;-) Goose, you wouldn't be one of those left over hippies now would you?? I didn't think any of those guys had enough hair left to go outside on a cold day without a tuke or something. Gotta cover that spot on top wide enough to use for a helicopter "LZ" of one gets frostbite or sunburn on the old noodle. Seriously I just love the way that hat keeps the phones and shield right there yet out of the way if I don;t need them at the time. For me it's a convenience thing and the inner headband works well enough for something that light. At any rate it sure beat the old goggles , muffs and optional helment arranement I had before getting it just for the convenience, especially if you only do off-and-on cutting like I mostly do.

If you can find it AmsOil helps allot with starting the saw. Once I used that for the 2 cycle oil it starts in two pulls. Oregon makes a really nice chain also. Normally cheaper than the Husqvarna and cuts better. I would say look for a local owned saw dealer to get the chains and bars from.

Not too far off the topic, but I see you purchased that aluminum platform. I had a contractor at my house last year and saw him use it. I immediately went to Lowes and bought one. The thing is great and I would have paid double what Lowes sells it for. You're a lucky man.

Happy splitting :)

Mountain Man 64 said:
You're going to love the 445 I got one last christmas and have been cutting up a 4' oak that had fallen over the summer. Just hold on when you start cutting that thing has some bite. I would go with the husky oil mix and 93 octane no ethanol. That's all I run in mine.

So you're running a 24" bar on a 45cc saw? I'm the king of over barring but I wouldn't even do that.

Bigg_Redd said:
Mountain Man 64 said:

So you're running a 24" bar on a 45cc saw? I'm the king of over barring but I wouldn't even do that.

Glad someone else noticed that too......I'm sure the 445 is a good saw but not for a bar over 18"

Status
Not open for further replies.