Difference in wood stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should also not forget that this was an extremely cold winter. Buying a stove for something that happens maybe once a decade?

And that's why he should buy a hybrid ::-)::-)::-)

Smoldering in a non secondary stove was not efficient for sure but if you added some air it was not all that bad if it was a decent stove with a good door gasket.
I only saved 1/3 the wood going from a older BK with no secondary to the BK cat...but it does a way better job keeping the heat way more even and it's not even a soapstone..imagine that..lol.

Thank You for all the advice. Im going to wait to see if Englander comes out with a new stove. I was told their working on one now.
"we are working on a new line of woodstoves, the Smartstove line the first of this line coming out is the "Madison" its a 2.45 CF firebox non-cat design with an automatice setback trigger. the trigger works by setting it when you start up kind of like cocking a gun when the stove gets hot enough to suport secondary burn the trigger releases and redirects the needed secondary air to the tubes.
the tested efficiency on the unit is 72% (78%LHV)
looking at a heating capacity of up to 1800 sq ft
the stove is going to be approximately 35" high/23.5" wide and 23.5 " deep
should take up to an 18 inch log
glass window size is 17.5X13 inches which is a realy big viewing area"

So Im going to wait and see if it's out by next season Im going to go look at them.. Again thank you for all your help and advice.

Leo

Buying a stove for something that happens maybe once a decade?

That is just sooooo true....... actually in my neck of the woods, we haven't had this harsh of a winter since the late 60's or early 70's. So buying based off of these conditions would be a little over kill.

Winters like this make me glad that I don't have JUST wood for heat.

Note that all EPA tested wood space heaters have a label which states a range of heat output at which the stove was tested to burn clean and properly.

IMHO, this means more than statements about this firebox, that one, this type, etc. which are opinion.

If a stove has a label which says it burns 11,000 to 40,000 BTU, then it CAN burn clean at low settings, whether cat, non-cat, flexburn*, hybrid*, everburn* or any other description.

Certainly there are differences using cordwood from the test wood - but the test data is basically designed to PROVE that a stove can burn low in the real world.

Here is the EPA list of certified stoves along with their tested heat ranges. Notice that most all can have low burns:
http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

*these are marketing or advertising terms, not descriptions of actual EPA stove types.

Status
Not open for further replies.