1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Digital LED temp readout and alarm installed

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by woodmiser, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodmiser

woodmiser New Member

Loc:
    Garnet Valley, PA
    Using an Auber Instruments PID controller ($36) with a Model: TC-K6 thermocouple ($6.85), a project box ($15.50) and an light/alarm ($8.22) Total ($66.57) I came up with a nice electronic way to monitor temps and notify me if I go over a set temp. I drilled an tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the top of the stove for the thermocouple. The controller runs on 115v AC so I tied it into the fan power line. The light/buzzer is also 115V so it ties directly into the controller. The directions show how to program it to go off at your setting.

This is installed on a Clydesdale insert.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=14
    http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=2
    http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=24
    http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=221
    http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=221

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    Sweet, I have always wondered why you dont see more people with inserts doing that.
    Just out of curiousity is that measuring stovetop temps or the flue temp?
  3. wjb111

wjb111 Member

Loc:
    Michigan - United States
    Not a bad idea. I like your thinking. For the price, why not? Better safe than sorry.

I didn't read all the specifics on the temp meter but can you adjust the temp for when the alarm goes off?
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    That is slick. I have had the PID for years now but couldn't convince myself that a thermocouple that wasn't surface mounted would give me the right reading. And those mag thermocouples is kinda pricey.
  5. woodmiser

woodmiser New Member

Loc:
    Garnet Valley, PA
    Yes to whatever you want. Alarm1 High, Alarm1 Low, Alarm2 High, Alarm2 Low. You can set these parameters to any temp you choose.
    It also has another output to run external circuits such as heater controls.

I'm going to have to install a set screw into the thermocouple hole to limit the reading. The thermocouple tip right now is directly exposed to the firebox so my readings on the high side are 150-200 deg hotter than the IR'd surface. I also have a piece of foil-faced ceramic insulation wrapped around about 2" of the TC wire to protect it from stovetop temps over 500F. That's all the TC wire is rated for.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Very nice . . . and not too crazy of a price either. Thanks for posting.
  7. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    Very nice!!

What would be the best way to mount the thermocouple on a stove?
  8. woodmiser

woodmiser New Member

Loc:
    Garnet Valley, PA
    Best way depends on exactly what you want to monitor. For stovetop a magnet mounted thermocouple would be best but they are over $50. That's why I chose the screw in style.
  9. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    I might just have to go with magnetic probe.

[​IMG]
  10. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
  11. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    I need to find a place that sells these magnets. This appears to just be a distributor.

[​IMG]
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    ACE Hardware has'em. I have thought about doing that too.
  13. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    I'm gonna try with this magnet off of AntOnline off of Amazon.
  14. jasong

jasong New Member

Loc:
    Palestine, Tx.
    I have had 2 PID controllers on my stove for a couple of years now. One thermocouple is inserted in the stove pipe and one is held down to the stove top. I initially tried several magnets but they would demagnetize permanently by the heat. I found some at Grainger that were rated for high heat but they are pricey. Treacheous, That magnet you linked to is the same kind (Alnico) that I have and it has worked good and kept it's magnatism.
  15. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    Good to hear. I kept getting hits that the Alnico magnets were heat resistant from 850-1000'F so I thought it might work.
  16. karl

karl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Huntington, West Virginia
    How much are you talking Bart?

There's some stuff we use on airplanes to bond oil pan heaters to the oil pan. It's like a super conductive JB weld. I'm not sure how high a temp it will handle but I can check. Also, its a bit pricey too. I forget how much but if you're interested I can look into it. Just PM me.

Shoot. I just read further down. $50.00 for a magnet mount. My idea might not be much cheaper. Also a normal magnet won't work. They have to be rare earth or something special. If you heat a normal one up it loses it's magnetism.
  17. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Nice job on that temp control! E-bay has some great deals on temp controls including yours and some are around 20 bucks with free shipping!

Ray
  18. woodmiser

woodmiser New Member

Loc:
    Garnet Valley, PA
    When I'm satisfied with my thermocouple readings I'll take a few pictures of the TC install. Like I said earlier, my TC is exposed to the firebox so my readings are 150-200 deg higher than actual stove top. The alarm works well. Woke me up just after I fell asleep when it hit 700. Actual stove top was around 525.
  19. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Nice. I've been wanting to do this to monitor my internal flue temps on my single wall pipe but I can't figure out which type of thermocouple to use. I guess I would need one with a 3" probe to reach the center of my 6" pipe and it would have to be rated for over 1000 degrees. Any ideas?
  20. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    Only 2" but rated to 1400'F
  21. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Ooooooh. I wonder if I can rig one up to replace the condar catalyst probe thermometer. It would nice to get a warning beep before an overfire.
  22. woodmiser

woodmiser New Member

Loc:
    Garnet Valley, PA
  23. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I'm confused, are all K types good for over 2000 or are they talking about the max wire temps? This one for a smoker has a 4" probe but gives two different temp ratings, one for the probe and one for the wire. I guess I could get a longer 6" probe and not insert it all the way in but would that effect the temps? Where do these things take their readings from, the tip or the whole probe?

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=101
  24. woodmiser

woodmiser New Member

Loc:
    Garnet Valley, PA
    Readings are at the tip. You don't need it to go into the middle. A 2" one would work. Yes most K's are good for 2000F
  25. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    So do you think this one would work? I could drill a 1/4" hole in the pipe and screw it in or use a nut to secure it from the inside? It says good for 800 degrees but that's just the wire right?

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=108
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.