Disloyalty? or Common sense? Long post,read at your own lesiure.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Well, someone in the midwest got me looking into the hearthstones. So it`s his fault. And he doesn`t live near a nuke plant ;-)

House layout,4 levels, in the nice and toasty rec-room a old pe insert, and on the third a propane insert and for central heat an old oil-fired boiler. The only way to keep this whole house comfortable is to burn 24/7--that keeps the needed boost from the old boiler and the propane insert to an absolute minimum. Can`t burn 24/7 with what I have now. Nor can I do so with upgrading to the pacific, only give me a 4-5hr burn using softwoods, which is pretty much all we have here. :down: the summit just wont fit.

Nearest as I can summize, for our situation, the rec-room with only 7.6ft ceiling and not more than 280 sq.ft, if we are looking for heat to go for a longer time it looks like soapstone might just be the answer. not cooked out of the room,not wasting wood, but keeping everything warm with minimal boost from those fossil fuels.

I have experimented with getting up and re-loading the old gal, and sure enough, if ya can keep that wood heat going, the whole house just seems so much warmer. Problem is , I don`t want to do that to often, (can`t get back to sleep half the time). So I`m thinking that the extra $600 spent for the soapstone might just well be worth it.?? And for those of you that advise about getting rid of the propane insert :grrr: forget it, the wife even listen anymore. just ain`t gonna happen.

Gonna take me 2 years to save , but the good thing is , that the dealership that fixed my door on my old insert doesn`t just sell pe`s, they also sell the hearthstone`s. and service them. and I am very pleased with the service with that dealership.

Maybe I am mistaken, but with that 1.7 cu.ft firebox that the morgan has, I can see burning less "softwood" and more useable heat.?? maybe 8 hours worth? ;-) Todd it`s all your fault to getting me thinking like this, so better hear from you?

For you nut cases that say dont buy anything that aint built in the USA, I say what about us Canucks? Look at the Peace Arch, that reads--Children of a Common Mother. And best of all, I don`t know if the hearthstone is built in the USA or Canada, and I don`t care./ all I know is that is built in N>A> PERIOD--

Hearthstone's parent company I believe is in Spain. Not that it affects the performance of the stove one iota.

Oh my god, didn`t know that. Hope I havent opened a can of worms here.??

I was hoping from some real input from someone like BG,, the soapstone thing>? You like I are living in a forest of softwoods, not much else to burn. Made in Spain, oh well, they are our allies right.?? I reallyl need to heat this house sensibly, so Bg, what do ya think of the soapstone insert??

I sure as hell dont want to turn this thing in to one of those Iraq things. Too late now. Saddaim, killed any alqueda he or his agents could hunt down. Nuff, said about that . what about the soapstone insert?

BG--very dissapointed reply.. Hope you are not joining the bandwagon. usa or nothing??

very simple question. burning softwood.?? seems like soapstone will give be the biggest bang for my almost on par canuck buck?

If that is the best that I can expect from you then no wonder the latest poll just released in Canada, just confirmed, that yes, if you guys want to play hardball with the NAFTA agreement, then most Canadians (68%) say no more oil to the U.S--no more.play the game on a level field then we might think about it?

Lots of threads on here about American Proctectismism. crap! Ya know what your owner of this site has a whole lot more commonsense than all the rest combined.,

God Bless Craig for his common sense,.

If the stove is a good fit, then it may be a good solution. I have nothing against Hearthstone, they're good stoves, just making an observation. Most companies are multi-national these days. Sometimes that is a good thing.

What is the fireplace opening size? Why the upgrade from your PE?

I am not going to run down there again and measure and re-measure. the pacific fits. and so does the hearthstone morgan fit.

BG-- I know that you have said that you are a transplant from the east, but your wife aint gonna move back to that cold. Too bad for you,,Enough of that, the summit wont fit , too,too big. My simple question actually was directed to you??

Burning softwoods, a ha, cant I expect more heat over a longer period of time with the Morgan insert ==rather than the pacific?

Am I getting more brain-dead as ai age or what/?/ Soapstone, still giving off heat long after our softwoods have burned away?

the pacific done and toast after 5 hours.?? what? you have been burning softwoods for the last dozen years, so what is the best bang for the buck.?? I am not brain dead, done my research, looks like the hearthstone is just common sense?? no??

You are a Mod, so if I am mistaken, please point out my misdirection....

t

If my measurements are correct-width 30"-height 23"--depth20". My pe just fits in there and the pacific will fit in there,but the summit is too big. Anyway an insert is an insert and perhaps the same advantage will not be obtained with soapstone as it would with a stove. So basically only something with a 2.1 cu.ft firebox or less is gonna fit and that won`t produce an overnite burn. Guess thru my last 2 posts my frustration is showing 8-/ Oh well,that`s one of the good things about this forum allows one to let off some steam and possibly find solutions. But you are right BG,no point in swapping out one for the other if there is no advantage to be had.

Tom Oyen has been heating his place with a Spectrum using NW softwoods. My neighbor is doing the same. Both are getting decent times and have coals in the stove for easy restart after 8 hrs. But that is with freestanding stoves.

It seems like you could almost squeak a Quadrafire 4100i in there. Might take a bit of Vaseline, but it's close. That's a 2.5 cu ft stove. Also did you look at the Regency i3100?

How did I turn you on to Hearthstone? Are you sure it was me and not that guy that lives near a nuke plant? :lol:

I say look into the catalytic 2.8 cu ft firebox Blaze King Princess insert, like I mentioned on that other forum.

sonnyinbc said:
God Bless Craig for his common sense,.

LOL You been in the Ash Can!!

sonnyinbc said:
Maybe I am mistaken, but with that 1.7 cu.ft firebox that the morgan has, I can see burning less "softwood" and more useable heat.?? maybe 8 hours worth? ;-)

You are a joker a soft wood burner MountainStoveGuy traded in a almost new 2.3 fire box Hearthstone Heritage for a 3.2 cubic foot firebox Hearthstone Mansfield for more heat and over night burns. PM him about soap stone and soft wood
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood_stoves/mansfield/

I had you problem with the fire place and went this way

HearthStone Heritage break in fire!!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3106/

Status
Not open for further replies.