DIY installation and Insurance.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ksracer

Nov 25, 2019
Wichita KS
I'm getting an insurance quote and the agent asked me to fill out a form regarding the New Englander Madison I installed myself a few yrs ago in an enclosed porch.
I followed all of the instructions and recommended clearances, but the form has a section asking if it was professionally installed. Do you think they will hassle me over it?

PXL_20230322_011320270.jpgScreenshot_20230321-200958~2.png

Insurance co hassle you? Of course they will, it’s what they do.

On a serious note, I am not sure as different companies in different locales seem to have different rules. Hope they don’t for you.

Reactions: Ksracer
It looks like they have the option for the local Fire Marshal to come out and inspect the install. Speak to your agent and see if that is acceptable. If so, I'd to that.

The insurance company wants peace of mind. DIY installs are a red-flag for them because it's an unknown. Was the installation inspected and signed off on? If not, will the insurer send out an adjuster to inspect and certify? Would they accept a certified sweep's written appraisal?

Another option is to go out and shop for another insurance company. Allstate just asked if we had a wood stove or fireplace.

The insurance company wants peace of mind. DIY installs are a red-flag for them because it's an unknown.
"Professional" installation should be a red flag as well. At my BIL's I saw the ceiling support not boxed off with 2x4s and only held by one screw into a ceiling joist. The thing was tilting, probably putting pressure on the pipe joints.
Then I saw an installation of an Enerzone at a neighbor's being done by two kids who looked like they were on summer vacation from high school. Pro, schmo. 😒

I had the county building inspector look over mine to satisfy the permit I pulled.

I’ve seen plenty of “pro” installs that were suspect.

Reactions: Ksracer
"Professional" installation should be a red flag as well. At my BIL's I saw the ceiling support not boxed off with 2x4s and only held by one screw into a ceiling joist. The thing was tilting, probably putting pressure on the pipe joints.
Then I saw an installation of an Enerzone at a neighbor's being done by two kids who looked like they were on summer vacation from high school. Pro, schmo. 😒
Several yrs ago I needed to replace an old, fire prone Federal Pacific breaker panel that was fed directly off the pole. The Electric company wouldn't cut the power without a permit and the inspector wouldn't issue one unless a "professional" was doing the work, so I hired somebody to do it.

Before I removed the "professional" from the property they had started knocking holes in sheetrock to trace wires because they couldn't get the lights to work again, the kitchen breaker blew everytime something was plugged in, and the A/C unit was single phased. I ended up redoing the entire panel myself.

That was the last time a professional or an inspector has set foot on my property and insurance people don't rank much higher in my book.

I filled the form out last night. When I spoke to my agent today she said it had been approved.

Several yrs ago I needed to replace an old, fire prone Federal Pacific breaker panel that was fed directly off the pole. The Electric company wouldn't cut the power without a permit and the inspector wouldn't issue one unless a "professional" was doing the work, so I hired somebody to do it.

Before I removed the "professional" from the property they had started knocking holes in sheetrock to trace wires because they couldn't get the lights to work again, the kitchen breaker blew everytime something was plugged in, and the A/C unit was single phased. I ended up redoing the entire panel myself.

That was the last time a professional or an inspector has set foot on my property and insurance people don't rank much higher in my book.

I filled the form out last night. When I spoke to my agent today she said it had been approved.
Be careful about just taking your agents word on things. Some of them are very good and verify everything they are telling you with the underwriter. Other ones are simply salespeople who will basically tell you what ever they have to to get or keep your business.

Reactions: begreen and Ksracer