Do I have the Wrong Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Offset

Mar 10, 2014
Haliburton, Ontario, Canada
My previous stove, a Drolet, had a strange oval shaped black pipe connection. It took a seven inch pipe that had to be squeezed into an oval shape, it was single wall pipe. We had renovated our place some time ago and installed a new chimney, I believe it is a Selkirk but I could be wrong. That chimney has an inside diameter of seven inches.

The new chimney has a cathedral ceiling mount with a section of the "chrome" chimney down through the support about four inches. From this there is a single wall pipe that extends down about six inches from the chrome insulated pipe (all part of the unit). When we installed our new Alderlea T5 I asked what was needed to hook the pipes up. So on advise I bought a telescoping double walled pipe and a six to seven inch adapter that mounts to the single wall pipe that is part of the chimney. The stove draws very well and everything looks right but I wonder if in fact it is.

Should the chimney have been double walled as well? I am really confused by this so I am asking for some input and hope I have explained the existing set up properly.

It sound like the chimney is double wall insulated chimney which is right for that application. It would be better if it was 6" but 7 will probably work fine

It's kind of hard to say without being on site and seeing it. This could be ok as long as the shiny pipe is class A. Seeing it is shiny it could be. Usually class A pipe has a stainless jacket. To be sure have a certified sweep check it out.

Note that there is a big difference between indoor, double-wall, connector pipe and outdoor, double-wall chimney pipe. The inside pipe is air cooled and the outside pipe is insulation packed.

It is indeed stainless begreen, but I will have to find the paperwork to determine exactly what it is that I bought. I have a guy coming to look at the system for insurance purposes and that is why I have some concern. The outside chimney pipe is "chrome" on the outside then about an inch or so of insulation then a stainless pipe inside seals the whole unit. It locks into the cathedral ceiling mount that is actually a black square box. I know I am probably missing some description but I will find the original chimney paperwork. I guess I should have done that first.

Thanks guys for the input.

You're probably ok, but good to check. How's the T5 work for you?

It sure sounds like the right stuff but i agree with bg if you are not sure have it checked

Thanks guys, I have to do some searching to find the literature that came with the chimney but I know I have it.

BG, I really like the Alderlea T5 for a number of reasons. I think it is a good looking stove but it seems to be very efficient as well. It burns overnight without issue leaving us with a bed of hot coals for the morning. Rake them to the front put on a couple of splits and it starts up immediately. I find it very responsive to adjustments with the air control.

The previous stove a Drolet that I really liked had cast iron doors so there was no flame to offer guidance. It had two air intake controls but the actual capacity was small. We would usually have to add kindling in the morning, really starting all over. So nice not to have to do this with the T5.

Certainly a stove I would recommend but I do wonder if the T6 would have been a better buy with the extend burn time. How do you like yours BG. How long have you had your T6? I have had mine since 2012.

This forum is a great place to learn and I appreciate the information shared by everyone.

The T6 is in its seventh season. It continues along pleasantly and uneventfully.

Just a quick update. We required a Canadian "WETT" certificate for insurance purposes since we installed the chimney and stove ourselves. The contractor just left and we passed with flying colours. I was apprehensive about the process but he seemed impressed with the installation.

He told me they have a number of customers with the Pacific Energy stoves and their only concern was how quickly they will heat up and then what do you do. I was able to impart some knowledge learned here about opening the door and allowing the air to rush in. He seem very appreciative of the information so thank you guys.

By the way I found the literature for the chimney and it is a CSA approved Selkirk Super Vent system.

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.