Do you get soot on your house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankie

Jun 12, 2012
Stroudsburg Pa.
New to pellet stoves and am awaiting installation of mine at the end of July. Just curious if there is any residue that gets on your siding from the exhaust of these stoves. Thanks.

Frankie I do not have any soot of the vinyl siding of my home after burning wood pellets for three years.
I have seen photos of homes with soot on the home.
My install as seen in my avatar rises about 4 to 4 1/2 feet then through the wall and extends about 12" and then into a termination cap. I prefered it that way to get as much natural draft as I could verses the straight out of the stove and right throught the wall.
Some would argue that with a little natural draft should the power fail the smoke from the smoldering pellets will exit the house and not back up into the home.
Do make sure that you buy quality pellets. Most peole including myself would advise that before you go out and commit to ton or tons of pellets that you sample a little of this and that to see what your stove likes then buy in bigger quantities.
I will close by saying that after burning pellets for three seasons we would buy a pellet stove again.

Thanks. I have seen pics of soot on siding myself and that is why I posted about it. I picked up an Accentra last Sunday off Craigslist for $700 in my area, could not pass it up. The Accentra will be in the basement to keep that warm so pipes do not freeze and a P61a in the living room to keep upstairs around 72 or 74. Was just hoping I will not have to clean soot from two areas of the house siding. Will try a couple bags of various pellets first.

I have burned pellets since the fall of 2008, so that looks to be three full seasons. I vent in out the lower level of a raised ranch, and the vent is near an inside corner. I have an attached solar greenhouse.

My vinyl siding has a streak going straight up. Trade off there. I have easy access to clean the vent, and I haven’t experienced back drafts etc when it is windy. I have a handy rigging for cleaning the siding, and it is on the backside of my house. The fix to this would be to add vertical length of pipe, but that would be a very cold pipe and and a very dirty pipe. With a cleanout T and the lint eater, I should be able to do it from the ground. I can't safely use a ladder. The year before last, it was all I could do to get to the backside of my home. Had it not been for the dogs making a round around path, I never would have been able to do that. My pellet stove has saved me a whole lot of money. It is work, Takes a few minutes each day, and maybe about 15 min. once or twice a week to vacuum it out. You mentioned a basement install. Is the basement insulated? I don't know anyone who is happy with a pellets stove that is installed in an uninsulated basement.

There are a few models that are known for the soot (if burning dirty and improperly).

Other stoves will burn soot free even when there completely filthy.

That said.... What model are you having installed?? (Edit: duh... I had to re-re-read!)

Having 2 Harmans installed!! I dont think your gonna be unhappy at all...

Being Harmans, I dont foresee a soot problem either. There are a few brands of stoves that burn slightly better than others (better fuel/air) and Harman is one of them. Follow the guidelines for distance away from your house and all will be well.

I have a Quad that has several seasons on it and its almost enclosed by brick pavers. Stacked up on each side and on the ground. No soot. Just light grey ash on the inside of the pavers after almost 4 seasons........ But Quadrafire is another model that pumps Lots of air in, to ensure complete and efficient combustion.

Sounds like your in for some Winters. Cant wait to see some pics.....

(As for the basement stove, the walls and floor will suck 25%-35% of your heat. But if its just for supplemental heat, then you'll be fine. It is a Harman.... ;))

Now you do. Hi save$, I'm smoke show. ;)
When my oldest graduated college and while he was gone the wife took over his room so he set-up camp in the basement (uninsulated) when fall came it got a little chilly down there and I knew it was going to be a temporary stay. I installed an Enviro IIi through a basement window and it kept the large area toasty. Wife wanted me to keep a stove down there after he left because it did make a difference. Needless to say I sold it.
The Accentra is a nice stove if I were you I would flip it and pick up another 61 or a 68, Just my .02.:cool: As far as the soot try to aim your termination with the prevailing wind.

Now you do. Hi save$, I'm smoke show. ;)[/quote
Well I am impressed! ;lol
Now, would you advise someone to install a pellet stove in an insulated space? I usually get up on my soap box and tell anyone to insulate first, regardless off the radiant heat system.
Any BTU that my stove can make and is not needed for the combustion, I want to hang onto for as long as I can. But then, I don't have a big stove, and I am trying to heat a big space.

Frankie I do not have any soot of the vinyl siding of my home after burning wood pellets for three years.
I have seen photos of homes with soot on the home.
My install as seen in my avatar rises about 4 to 4 1/2 feet then through the wall and extends about 12" and then into a termination cap. I prefered it that way to get as much natural draft as I could verses the straight out of the stove and right throught the wall.
Some would argue that with a little natural draft should the power fail the smoke from the smoldering pellets will exit the house and not back up into the home.
Do make sure that you buy quality pellets. Most peole including myself would advise that before you go out and commit to ton or tons of pellets that you sample a little of this and that to see what your stove likes then buy in bigger quantities.
I will close by saying that after burning pellets for three seasons we would buy a pellet stove again.

X2

Some stoves like the Magnum BabyCountryside say in their owners manual NOT to go strait out and up the OUTSIDE of the house! Sure it looks better on the inside of the house to not have any pipes showing, but do you want it looking good and have problems or do you want it working REAL good! I also vote for a good draft by having the pipe go up atleast 3 feet on the INSIDE of the home and then go thru the wall to the outside! Better safe than sorry! Also if you go out 2 feet from the siding before you put the cap on, then you will never get soot on the siding!

The Magnum manual states in colder climates the you can put the vertical rise outside if the vent pipe is boxed in and completely insulated. Then it will be much harder to keep clean!

Now, would you advise someone to install a pellet stove in an insulated space?
No I would not advise an uninsulated install. I'm actually insulated outside the foundation. I'm sure it would be better with interior insulation,

but for the intermittent use it gets its effective enough.

When my oldest graduated college and while he was gone the wife took over his room so he set-up camp in the basement (uninsulated) when fall came it got a little chilly down there and I knew it was going to be a temporary stay. I installed an Enviro IIi through a basement window and it kept the large area toasty. Wife wanted me to keep a stove down there after he left because it did make a difference. Needless to say I sold it.
The Accentra is a nice stove if I were you I would flip it and pick up another 61 or a 68, Just my .02.:cool: As far as the soot try to aim your termination with the prevailing wind.

Classic!

New to pellet stoves and am awaiting installation of mine at the end of July. Just curious if there is any residue that gets on your siding from the exhaust of these stoves. Thanks.

After my first season (2008) with a direct vent straight out the first floor wall I noticed that I had some minor soot staining going up the back of my house. When the dealer delivered pellets the next summer I asked what I could do and he mentioned that because the back of my house was facing north the winds were sending the exhaust back against the house. So I had him install a 90 degree elbow and push the exhaust about 12" past the corner of the house. No more soot on the white vinyl siding (happy wife :cool:) and I can see the smoke clear the house as it floats south. Just something to consider. Someone else mentioned this too, the amount of soot will also depend on the quality of the pellets you are burning. Remember to do a regular cleaning during the winter season, that will help with soot and keep your unit running at peak performance.

My stove is in an uninsulated enclosed porch. The chimney goes right up through the roof, eight feet total length, no soot.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.