Do you leave you stove on all the time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

99miles

Sep 19, 2009
Portland, OR
Hey all!
I just had my first pellet stove installed today -- a Harman XXV!
I'm so excited. In reading around on here it sounds like people leave their pellet stoves on all the time in the cold months. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation about that, since it makes me slightly nervous if I leave for hours on end, but I'm sure it's fine if I keep up on the cleaning of it, etc. Is this the standard procedure?

Here's a photo of my new install (and homemade hearthpad)!

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 595
Sit in front of your stove, read the manual, and get to know your stove. Hand over hand each circut and system and I assure you that you will soon realize that any fears you have on letting it run 24/7 will quickly fade away. It is said over and over that 99% of the problems with pellet stoves are due to the lack of cleaning and maintenance. Simply put, you take care of your stove and it will take care of you. Ensure you have smoke detectors and carbon monixide alarms installed and that they are operational. Congrats and enjoy your new stove!

I do use mine 24/7 during the heating season. Great stove you got there. Enjoy it, love it and do your maintainence on it as per the directions

These stoves are built to run 24-7. If you use clean dry fuel and clean the stove when you are supposed to you will have no problems. We have been heating using corn for 6 seasons now and had very few problems. Just do the required cleaning etc and you will be good. The stove is very safe. When was the last time you heard of a pellet or corn stove blowing up a house??

rona said:
These stoves are built to run 24-7. If you use clean dry fuel and clean the stove when you are supposed to you will have no problems. We have been heating using corn for 6 seasons now and had very few problems. Just do the required cleaning etc and you will be good. The stove is very safe. When was the last time you heard of a pellet or corn stove blowing up a house??

Agree, burn that thing 24/7 and keep up with the cleaning. The last time i heard (last heating season) of a pellet stove issue was a house not to far from me burning down to the ground (not blowing up) lol! They had some things to close to the stove that eventually caught fire and went up the curtains... Respect the stove and its clearances/requirments and it should do you well.

Nice stove BTW!!

Run mine on a thermostat and it is on all the time when the wife and kids are on school vacation.

The only time I have an issue is when i forget to clean out the ash pan and it shuts down.

Keep your stove well fed and clean and she'll make you happy (or at least warm)

Aaron

tkrock said:
......The last time i heard (last heating season) of a pellet stove issue was a house not to far from me burning down......They had some things to close to the stove that eventually caught fire and went up the curtains.......

Human error, not stove problem at all.

2 of mine are running right now and I'm at work - nice and warm when I get home

As long as you keep up on the cleaning I'll tell you the same thing I told my fiancee. "Do you turn the furnace off when you leave the house? It has a flame too, you just can't see it."

I run mine 24/7 and once a week I shut it down to clean out the ash pan and do a quick vaccum and clean the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.