Does and Donts of insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swanderek

Jan 16, 2018
Tacoma, WA
So I am having my pre-install visit this week. I have read a lot about installs (But still very new and green)and how they are done properly. However, I have read about some installs not going as planned or correct. I am having a hearth heater installed. I know they are using 6in liner the whole way up and not taking out any panels. Is there anything else with ventilation or anything like that I should be aware of them doing correctly?

Again, thank you soooo much for everyone's help!

So I am having my pre-install visit this week. I have read a lot about installs (But still very new and green)and how they are done properly. However, I have read about some installs not going as planned or correct. I am having a hearth heater installed. I know they are using 6in liner the whole way up and not taking out any panels. Is there anything else with ventilation or anything like that I should be aware of them doing correctly?

Again, thank you soooo much for everyone's help!
Is the liner going to be insulated? Is the fireplace and chimney in good condition and installed correctly? Can you meet the minimum clearances to combustibles from the stove to the framing around your fireplace? How are they going to finish the top to maintain proper cooling airflow in the chimney? How are they going to allow for cooling airflow in the firebox?

They said liner is not insulated and in my climate (Seattle area) that’s fine..,

Is that ok?
No. Insulation requirements have nothing to do with climate. Did they pull the chase cover to inspect condition of the chimney and check for clearances? Did they confirm you can meet required stove clearances?

Inspector has not come out yet.
Does uninslated one present any safety issues?
It may especially if the fireplace or chimney was not installed with proper clearances which many were not. And absdolutly if they restrict airflow between the layers of the chimney. I was not asking about an inspector. I was asking about the installer. They need to know if the fireplace is in good condition and is installed right before moving forward at all.

I emailed my installer and asked his opions about a block of plate. He said,” what’s that” is it called something different?
It’s a metal fireplace and no brick.

I emailed my installer and asked his opions about a block of plate. He said,” what’s that” is it called something different?
It’s a metal fireplace and no brick.
No thats what its called. And the instructions from regency clearly require sealing around the liner when installing into a zc fireplace like yours. Which btw what fireplace is it? Does it even allow for such an installation. Regardless the guy you are considering doesnt seem to know what he is talking about. Are you going to entrust your safety to him?

After sending him a link he said that I don’t need one because I am not doing a direct connection.
So he is ignoring the stove manufacturers install instructions???

Oh and the liner manufacturers instructions regarding insulation for solid fuel liners. Did he check the fireplace at all? I would recomend finding a new installer.

It’s been my experience that installers are all over the map in regard to their knowledge, diligence, and honesty. Search for a csia certified sweep in your area and then post what THAT pro’s proposal is.You want to feel good about work getting done for you. Just call someone else.

Last edited: