Dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is is pretty much non-adjustable. As the rod end from the door handle progresses down the "wedge" inside it tightens up the door seal. With a new stove and gasket it should not make it half way down the wedge before the door seal is tight.

One of the reasons it is important with the Englanders to not use the low density gasket material from the hardware store but to use the high density stuff like they come with. The low density won't let the door seal get tight before the adjustment runs out. Not something that is part of the issue in this case but something owners of the stoves need to know.

Kathleen is it in your manual and if not can you get some pictures.

zap

Gaskets? What gaskets? My stove has gaskets? LOL

seriously, I have been running my stove now for almost 4 years with no gaskets... So I went out, bought a gasket kits, put it on, and realised my one door is actually warperd =( soooo I added a lil bit more gaskets material to that door to shore it up a bit...

New problem tho... Now, I have to relearn how to operate my stove again LOL!

zapny said:

zap

There ain't a door latch adjustment on the stove.

Ducky said:
Gaskets? What gaskets? My stove has gaskets? LOL

seriously, I have been running my stove now for almost 4 years with no gaskets... So I went out, bought a gasket kits, put it on, and realised my one door is actually warperd =( soooo I added a lil bit more gaskets material to that door to shore it up a bit...

New problem tho... Now, I have to relearn how to operate my stove again LOL!
Well aint that ducky.

BrotherBart said:
zapny said:

zap

There ain't a door latch adjustment on the stove.

I saw your post after I posted so I hope it ain't going to be a big DEAL!

zap

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
BrotherBart said:
Is is pretty much non-adjustable.

Grrrr

It does not need an adjustment mechanism. Get on that phone teach. Something is rotten in Denmark. Them ole boys in Monroe, VA with the southern accents will fix ya up. Get that sucker fixed before the serious cold is biting the young'un's toes.

I love my 13, Lowes Summer Heat, Englander..But I can also turn my door handle 360. It has a sweet spot??...problem???
If I can turn the door latch 360, do I have problem?

Since I didn't burn last night, the house was a cool 54 °F this morning and everybody was cranky.

I called ESW and got some advice similar to what Pen posted. I added a small piece of pipe on the inner door latch. Problem solved. House is nice and warm.

Whoa..

I think Pen used a piece of pipe, as a lever, to bend his catch for a snugger closing. I don't read your version that way.

Yes, he gave me two options. Bend it like Pen. Or fit the pipe on to eat up the extra space. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Seems like Englander QC needs to be tightened up a bit here, as well as the stove door. Not all people would be as astute to recognize this issue or as capable as you Kath.

It sounds like there will be more folks discovering this problem. Can you provide a little more details and a picture of the fix for others to find in the future?

I started a thread about the same thing as far as a leaking gasket in a stove (nc-13) I purchased in Jan 2010. You could clearly see on the glass where the air is coming from and I know I was burning plenty hot enough. After reading this I looked at my lever and found it to out of "square" and bent it back with pens method, no problem, but didn't fix it.

I will be replacing the gasket shortly and the place where the two ends meet I'm gonna notch them in a way that they fit together with out an end to end fit, to rid myself of any potential gaps.

Attachments

• Dollar bill test
    securedownload.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 382
pen said:
when I first bought my 30 the handle would do a similar maneuver and my glass was turning dark in spots no matter how I burned. Next time the stove got hot I opened the door, took a piece of 1 in steel pipe I had around and put it on the inside part of the door latch, put some weight on it to bend it to make the door tighter (really not that much) and have never had a problem since.

Not saying you should have to do this since you obviously have a new stove, but it's what it took for me. Best I can figure my door handle bar was about 1/8 in out too far. It didn't take much to get things tight.

The picture in my avatar is before I did this maneuver. Now, my handle is pointing directly at 4pm.

Good luck.

pen
The handle on my 13 will also go 360, and it dont take much muscle.
How long was your pipe, I have tried bending mine with a pipe wrench and it hasnt made any difference.
And I should trying to bend it back towards the door, correct?
Thank you for any advice..

Pipe is about 2 1/2 feet long. I simply put gloves on, held the outer handle / door for support (get a helper w/ ove gloves on if you can even) and then the other hand on the pipe which was on the inner latch. Basically, just get leverage on that bad boy but support it.

Again, you shouldn't have to do this on a new stove. I did it because my stove is used. Defiantly call ESW.

pen

Pen thank you for your quick reply..
This is the second year burning thise stove.
You are bending this in, correct?
Thanks again.

r dubya said:
Pen thank you for your quick reply..
This is the second year burning thise stove.
You are bending this in, correct?
Thanks again.

Well, w/ the door open, I am actually bending the round-stock latch out, so that when closed, it will push against the metal wedge in the stove harder.

If you are looking for a metal pipe, look in your closet. I've got black metal pipes for hanger rods. Or if you have a floor jack in the garage, a handle from one of those will work.

pen

hey k...think you could send some of those dollar bills up here so i can try that test??? is that you in the pic? sure looks like a home made hat that you're wearing...is there anything you can't do???

wth is a yooper and no I didn't make the hat. It was made by Guatemalan toddlers for pennies a day. No dollar bills necessary.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
wth is a yooper and no I didn't make the hat. It was made by Guatemalan toddlers for pennies a day. No dollar bills necessary.

outstanding!

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.