Doors next to fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chrispatrick

Oct 11, 2023
Connecticut
Hello everyone. Got a question for you all. We are lookin into renovating a newly purchased home and am stumped to what these two doors to the left and right of the fireplace are. And info would be very helpful. Thanks guys

IMG_4846.jpeg

In homes built before the popularity of cast iron stoves (ca.1770), it would be common to have an oven either next to or in the back of the fireplace. I suspect whoever built your house was trying to replicate that look, although from the photos I can't imagine these are functional. Having two ovens, one on either side of the fireplace, would be quite unusual.

I suspect this is a newer house (not earlier than 1770), and that these are decorative oven doors covering cubbies, in which the original owner intended to store some spare firewood or fireplace tools.