Double Bit Axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
True Temper VULCAN Kelly Works. Good maker.Factory at one time was in Charleston,WV.Also made ball pein & cross pein hammers of varying weights plus sledgehammers for blacksmiths,stonemasons & other trades. After WW II became part of American Fork & Hoe,which made heavy duty shovels & related items.

600 grit seems a little on the conservative side..lol

Gimme medium wire wheel,10000 RPM minigrinder,dust mask 15 minutes & I'll have that be glowing a dark maroon/brown color once again :coolgrin:

Are you saying there going to be no shinny spots? And straight or 90 degree? :coolsmile:

smokinjay said:
Are you saying there going to be no shinny spots? And straight or 90 degree? :coolsmile:

lol I just follow the curves,nothing straight about a good double bit.Consider it a 'dark mirror',like blacked out windows on a Fed's Suburban. ;-P

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

lol I just follow the curves,nothing straight about a good double bit.Consider it a 'dark mirror',like blacked out windows on a Fed's Suburban. ;-P

I would go 120-180 with that ax after seeing picks (used 120 new 180 grit) wet with a little soap and water d/a 3 inch sander. :coolhmm:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

If I get some time tomorrow I'll hit it with the grinder with the wheel then thro up a picture.

Zap

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

lol the stright and 90 degree was what mini grinder you want! ;-)

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Oh.... The wire wheels & cup brushes for it? gotcha.I'm awake,really I am lol

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Oh.... The wire wheels & cup brushes for it? gotcha.I'm awake,really I am lol

90 pistol grip or stright shaft? lol I have a least 4 of these ax's. I will do one each way see what I get. Just haveing some fun here you started it.lol :coolhmm: But with this rain what ese is there to do! ZAP MILLING ALREADY!

Thistle said:
moosetrek said:
smokinjay said:
I would just use sand paper for all of it. No different than a car the way I see it.

You clean your car with sandpaper? Or did I misunderstand? :)

Reminds me of a guy I worked with who made a convertible out of an '86 Mustang with a sawzall. :lol:

Reminds of a t-shirt I saw at a local cruise night.

"Any guy can own an old car, it takes a real man to cut one up!"

Zap, I've split a lot of wood with one of those. I too would be tempted to split a few rounds. Wire brush would help a lot on the rust. Linseed oil on the handle works very well.

Probably not in everybody's garage but a Scotch Brite buffing wheel would polish that axe up nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.