Double-sided wood stove options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ansky

Feb 18, 2013
central CT
Hi, I currently have a double sided gas fireplace (propane) that is in a masonry fireplace and chimney. I'd like to convert it to a double sided wood stove. Any suggestions on where to start? I think my options are probably limited. It's a large opening, so I think I can put a free standing stove in that space (instead of an insert). Any suggestions are appreciated.

Got a picture and some measurements?

Sure. It's 38" wide, 30" tall, and 25" deep.
I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

Are you wanting to set a freestanding stove up against the opening on one side? You aren’t going to find any 2 sided stoves or inserts that will fit into a Fireplace. Many people put a decorative cover on one side and install an insert on the other.

Are you wanting to set a freestanding stove up against the opening on one side? You aren’t going to find any 2 sided stoves or inserts that will fit into a Fireplace. Many people put a decorative cover on one side and install an insert on the other.

I found this one. This is the right idea.
https://supremem.com/vision.php

Even if it will physically fit, is it approved to be installed inside a Fireplace?
They use an air control that acts somewhat like a thermostat/timer for quick start ups. The additional heat would mess with it I think.

Not to mention it’s 38.4” tall not including the flue collar.

you're right. the hight alone makes it not a viable option.

It does have a built in barbeque grill though. That should count for something.

Here's some pics of the current set up.

Double-sided wood stove options Double-sided wood stove options Double-sided wood stove options Double-sided wood stove options Double-sided wood stove options