Double versus Single wall pipe and effect on draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they make a cap for the chimney that might slow the draft down?

If you can drop the chimney height by 3 ft without compromising code by all means do it. You want to get that draft down to about .09.

It will help, but I can say it will halve it.

It will help, but I can say it will halve it.

Cool, I have to remove some siding and cut the chase I built but I think I can stay 2' above the peak and keep it in code with a 3' removal. When I built this place (I framed it and installed the chimney) the guy at the stove shop stressed to me I needed to get above that peak for a great draft. Lol

Cool, I have to remove some siding and cut the chase I built but I think I can stay 2' above the peak and keep it in code with a 3' removal. When I built this place (I framed it and installed the chimney) the guy at the stove shop stressed to me I needed to get above that peak for a great draft. Lol
So you are currently 5' above the peak? In an earlier post you said that you couldn't remove any because of the height rule, so I got confused.

So you are currently 5' above the peak? In an earlier post you said that you couldn't remove any because of the height rule, so I got confused.

I kinda eyeballed by counting the horizontal pieces of siding and think I can get it. I also might be further than 10' from the peak so it's hard to say till I get up there. Plus I was counting the pipe and not the cap before. It's now my understanding that the top of the cap is what is measured.

I kinda eyeballed by counting the horizontal pieces of siding and think I can get it. I also might be further than 10' from the peak so it's hard to say till I get up there. Plus I was counting the pipe and not the cap before. It's now my understanding that the top of the cap is what is measured.
Good. I hope you can do it. It may not quite get you there by itself, but it should help. I'm told that if you change the stack height by a certain percentage, you will change the draft by the same percentage. Generally.

Good. I hope you can do it. It may not quite get you there by itself, but it should help. I'm told that if you change the stack height by a certain percentage, you will change the draft by the same percentage. Generally.

Well I hope that's not true. 3' is only about 10%. I will say my chimney is always very clean with this setup.

Well, with a lot of work I can remove about 2' from the top of this chimney and stay in code on the roof. It just doesn't seem worth the effort for 2' on such a long run. I also emailed PE but have not heard back. I've been reading and reading and reading about barometric dampers and while I really think it will make my situation perfect as far as the burn I don't like the though of passing all that room air in the chimney. I put one of those key dampers in but it just doesn't help. I was thinking..... What if I could make the key damper a little bigger so it blocks the pipe even more? Like maybe buy an 8" damper and grind it down? I guess my thinking is even with the huge draft I have it'll slow down the air being pulled into the stove. Plus I could open it up for a cold start for that nice draft. Anyone have thoughts on this??? It seems like a good move to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.