Double wall install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magoo0512

Jul 18, 2016
Western ny
I've got a question about installing some double wall stove pipe. Putting in a jotul f3cb stove rear vent out in front of a fireplace and want to run double wall stove pipe straight out the back due to close clearances to combustible, and then from there go into the T connector located in fireplace which is connected to the stainless liner straight up to the top. My question is to connect that double wall pipe to the T connector that comes with the flex liner kit do I need any special adapter if so is there one specifically made for it. Thanks!

It should be possible but I wonder if the clearance to the smoke pipe is close, will it honor the stove clearances? What is the area of clearance concern and how close is it to the back of the stove? To the stove pipe?

It will be sitting on hearth out in front of zero clearance fireplace. My only concern for clearance to combustibles would be the pipe on the rear exit where it enters into the fireplace I have roughly 13 to 14 inches to the top of the zero clearance where it meets drywall from top of stove pipe. As far as stove clearance I can extend out in front of fireplace to whatever is needed. I think I'm all set as far as clearances go just wondering if there is an adapter needed to connect double wall stove pipe into tee connector. T connector that comes with the flex liner kit is not double wall.

Sometimes the pipe will slip over the tee snout, you just never know until you try. Typically you can crimp the tee and it will fit ok once secured with screws. It just depends on the size and design of the particular brand of tee you have. Tee's are hand made, so they aren't always the same. Just gotta get your hands on it and try.

Thanks for the info will try that. The other option is use a double wall tee connector too and then just connecting stainless liner directly to the top of that. This will keep everything uniform and looking clean were visible in fireplace. I assume connecting the liner to the double wall tee will be the same thing trial and error. Thanks for helping me spit ball some ideas!

Everything inside the fireplace needs to be SS liner components. All you need to do is shield the tee snout. It'll work out, just going to take some trial and error.

I assume you mean shield the tee snout where it exits the front of the firebox of the zero clearance? If i have to use that tee vs. the double wall I guess I could just paint it black so that it looks right. I assumed the double wall tee would be fine seeing the inner pipe is stainless and better clearance. Thx

Also toying with the idea of building an eyebrow at the top of the ZC. This would possibly solve shielding problem as well as allow me to put a mantel hopefully closer then the 36 inches that's required i believe with no shield above the stove. Mantel would just look awkward to me that high up on the wall.

You will trim the tee snout down to whatever length you need. Then adapt it to the double wall connector pipe, the connector pipe will go from the stove all the way into the fireplace and attach to the tee. Then it all gets painted black for looks.

The liner is a complete system, you need to use the tee that's supplied with the kit. Besides, there is not a good way to attach it to the flex liner.

You can order either long or short tee snouts. The short one will likely not even need trimmed, just crimped.

Status
Not open for further replies.