Downsize Opening on Wood Burning Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JM1978

Dec 30, 2017
Kansas
Hi,

New to forum. I have removed a pellet stove from a large (48" x 34") opening of a fireplace. I need to reface and want to build in from the sides as well as down from the lintel stating inside the firebox. I was considering using metal framing (studs and track) but I'm unsure how this would fare inside the firebox. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20171229_120934.jpg
    20171229_120934.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 168
What's the plan for the future, open fireplace, stove/insert?

I'm on a budget so I plan to put Durock cement board with either faux stone or tile. The reason to keep the facing low-profile is to use the current mantel (pictured) which has 3.5" of space behind it for the facing to fit.

I'm not 100% clear on what you're doing but if you're just working on the outside I think you'd be fine to do what your thinking. If you're looking to reduce the interior of the firebox then IDK about that.

Need to have a mason in that case I would think.

Ok. I was looking to attach framing to the fire brick near the edge of the opening. To this framing, I would attach the cement board. This reduces the opening dmensions without making the entire firebox smaller.

Thanks for answering.

Ok. I was looking to attach framing to the fire brick near the edge of the opening. To this framing, I would attach the cement board. This reduces the opening dmensions without making the entire firebox smaller.

Thanks for answering.
No it needs to be done out of masonry

Reactions: jatoxico