Draft Issue bad Cause of BLOWER!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
I actually just found my problem with the stove englander 30 draft issue that I have been having for so long. I got advice to turn blower off on start up so did and got the following problem. The draft and stove and flue temps will remain the same when the blower is OFF. As soon as I turn it on everything goes bad. With the blower off the secondaries were good and the stove and flue temp remain steady at high temps 425 flue and 675 stove. The problem is that I bought the bigger blower to help move heat latterly which it was but now what can I do and what is causing this have any idea?

Does the blower have a rheostat on it allowing you to modulate the blower speed? If not, I'd try wiring one up so you can turn the blower way down. Can you return it for the lower CFM blower?

Yes it does have the variable knob but I bought the big one so I can get heat to the end of the hall with it.

Sounds like something is marginal with the setup. A hotter stove will have stronger draft. The blower is a symptom, not the problem.

Sounds like you may be running your blower too high. We have found that for us running the blower where the stove top temps stay between 450 and 500 works best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been experimenting still, got the flue up to 575 and the stove up to 750. I will let it go there with the secondaries and the stove will stay at the same temp. Then the flue will go down a little but if I leave the blower off it will stay there as soon as I turn on the blower even on medium, the flue temp will go down below 300 and then the secondaries will stop. I still do not know what is doing that but this is strange???

Are those readings with a bi-metal gauge or a IR temp gun?

Metal gauge. My issue though is that the secondaries go away so I know that it is not just the blower cooling the thermometers off.

This hying has aggravated me alot! Anyone want to trade for the englander furnace!

Metal gauge. My issue though is that the secondaries go away so I know that it is not just the blower cooling the thermometers off.

This hying has aggravated me alot! Anyone want to trade for the englander furnace!
Blowing cooler room air on the flue can lower stack temps no doubt. Cooler stack temps will slow the draft which in turn could effect your secondary burn.
Can you make some sort of shield to keep some of the air from the blower off the flue?

I don't know I am now waiting for mike to get back to me the good news is that I finally figured out what is going on after considering it was my draft or not. The bad I have no idea why!!

It could be that if the draft or the wood dryness is marginal then a symptom like this might show up.

I have both marginal draft and wood at the moment in my 30. Leaving the blower on too long cools the box enough to where it kills the secondaries.

So, I keep an eye on the stove top temps, and turn the blower off eventually. I actually typically only use the blower if the room is in the 60s when we get up.

The only problem though is that I need the blower to help move my heat laterally down the hall.

The only problem though is that I need the blower to help move my heat laterally down the hall.
Try a box fan at the other end of the hall blowing towards the stove room?

Thanks hot coals but the problem is the hallway is too narrow that was another reason why I purchased the bigger blower.

Thanks hot coals but the problem is the hallway is too narrow that was another reason why I purchased the bigger blower.
I see. Well maybe you can shield the flue pipe from the blower with some bent sheet metal or something.
Do you have double wall pipe..if not maybe that would help.

what is happening is your blower is robbing your stove of draft-primary/secondary air. Both inlets are very close to the blower. Esp the 2ndary air intake. If you have a marginal draft and have the blower on, its going to affect your draft/burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.