Draft issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
We went to a new stove about a month ago. This insert was much larger it's osburn 2400. The old 2200 had a liner straight up and out. This unit had to have a 45 connected being it did not sit directly under liner. The only way to get it going really good is to keep door open. The 2400 has what looks like a tube right in front middle that let's primary air in I assume that's the only air inlet for primary. I can have hells inferno going and shut door and watch it just diminish with primary open. Unless it's really hot. Could this 45 have messed draft up. Or is this a insert issue. My draft should be great being it's a 28 foot chimney. Obviously it could be wood to. Even dry wood has hard time lighting off. What do you think

With a chimney that tall, I don't think it's a drafting issue. I've installed many inserts with the angled flex-to-rigid adapters & not had a problem with draft restrictions. Is the liner clean all the way up & is the cap clear?

Ok I didn't think it would be that 45 because it's hardly a tough angle Will check cap one of these days once the snow has decided to leave

2nd on the cap particularly if it is the type with a screen mesh. The mesh gets clogged with creosote deposits and after awhile poof no more draft. Ain't saying it isn't you wood either so I'll go with a possible combination of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.