Draft problem solved!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Well after reading about 2 or 3 dozens posts on "draft problems"...I went ahead and applied the simpliest solution. I took a very small space heater and put it about 3 feet away from the stove and turned it on for about 10 minutes. NO SMOKE IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!! Smoke is pouring out of the stack. My neighbors probably think I lost it. Weird guy with lots of wood standing in the rain enjoying smoke from his stack.. Thanks to everyone, my house will now be smoke free. The stove (Jotul F600) is still breaking in...can hear the cast iron popping from time to time...but that is music to my ears.

Congratulations! I can't say I have ever gone out in the rain to check the cap for the draft but I do occasionally look up when I go out the door.

OH, and then theres the smell of the woodstove smoke outdoors, simular to my small addiction to sniffing the green splits in mid March. Only now all I have to do is sniff and smile, my wife won't think I'm quite as crazy as sniffing splits

Still have that paint smell though as the stove breaks itself in with a few more break-in fires. This was my 4th. Got it up to 575 and then shut her down. I'm thinking one or two more at about 600+ should do the trick. Still alot of poppin and creekin from the cast iron itself. I was so tempted to throw a few all-nighters in...not yet though. Want to practice that on the weekend.

You can have slow draft problems during start-up this time of the year. Just to warm out. Hopefully yours will get better later in the season. Try putting a lit a candle in the stove for 10 minutes. The cast iron creaking never stops. Especially as you bring it up to 600.

I have broken in 2 Jotul F500s and have never heard any creaking from the stove or have not smelt paint, like some have reported. The f-600 must have way more breakin fires f500 bring to 200* 300* and 400* each hold for one hr, let cool to room temp after each and burn at will. its over.

cptoneleg said:
I have broken in 2 Jotul F500s and have never heard any creaking from the stove or have not smelt paint, like some have reported. The f-600 must have way more breakin fires f500 bring to 200* 300* and 400* each hold for one hr, let cool to room temp after each and burn at will. its over.

Just as you mentioned, I never heard my Oslo have any creaks either. I definitely smelled the paint on the break-ins.

Glad you got the draft figured out. In colder weather, or when the stove heat is still there from a day or two, you may not have this problem. For my set up, I think the baffle plate and the rear discharge make it a little more challenge to get the draft going when the stove is cold.

Funny how people who burn wood get joy in the simple things!

Congratulations on solving the draft issue.

I am still smelling paint on my setup, but i think it is from the pipe, not the stove. A couple of little creeks during the break in, but no major pops.

Enjoy as the cold weather sets in...

Shoulder season burning can be tough with establishing the draft . . . I've heard of folks using candles, hair dryers, propane torches, etc. to get a smoke free draft established. As for me, usually just opening the nearby window a crack works.

For the record, I had a few snap, crackles and pops when the Oslo was being broken in . . . nothing crazy loud or excessive though.

My Lopi cracks, pops, and creaks to do this day if I'm doing a particularly fast cooling or heating session. I.e. if it's going up over 100 degrees stovetop in 2 minutes, it'll make lotsa sounds :)

Cracking a window has solved most of my major draft problems. I am considering getting a propane torch for those pesky times where the room starts filling with smoke.

A bit of noise as the stove is heating up should cause no alarm. As Jake stated, a couple candle lit when getting the smoke smell should take care of it .

My Oslo heats my home said:
cptoneleg said:

Just as you mentioned, I never heard my Oslo have any creaks either. I definitely smelled the paint on the break-ins.

3 years running and my Olso still creaks. I'm so attuned to it that I can tell when it's time to damper-down after a load up just by the sounds.

Peter SWNH said:
My Oslo heats my home said:
cptoneleg said:

3 years running and my Olso still creaks. I'm so attuned to it that I can tell when it's time to damper-down after a load up just by the sounds.

The only creaks I ever got was when I installed the rear heat shield, that thing sounded like a band coming down the street for a week until it found it's groove.

I'm sure when the stoves are put together they create thier own personality, yours likes to talk to you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.