Draft problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snuggsman

Dec 14, 2013
Colorado
Hello All, I'm new to this wood stove thing.

My house came with a trashed wood stove (they burned coal in it) in the basement that had an 8inch flue going into a Masonry chimney. 8X13 I believe. Well I purchased a new wood stove but it has a 6 inch flue. Matter of fact all of the stoves in my price range had 6inch flues. So I bought an adapter to go from the existing 8inch to the new stove and now the stove smokes out my basement Yes I put the adapter at the stove..

Now I have about 6" of 6inch pipe and then toThe 8inch which is about a 30"vertical to a 90 and about 10" horizontal into the chimney. The pipe is all single wall.

Yes The chimney was cleaned by a professional. oh and it is a country hearth 2000

Welcome to the forums. How tall is the chimney, does it terminate above the roof peak, and is it exterior or inside the house?

Some stoves with 6" venting don't perform really well when dumping into large flues, particularly basement installs with cold exterior chimneys (negative pressure / stack effect).

Sounds like a liner is needed here. The stove is dumping into a pipe that has 2.5 times the cross-sectional area. That is not good for draft, especially if the chimney is cold or short.

If you want the system to perform the best it can, you'll need to do everything it takes to make the entire flue system from the stove flue collar to daylight 6". Rick

Ditto to the above, and you also prolly have some serious downdraft going on, which will cause the smoke in your basement.
Get the 6" liner.

Sorry its been a while. So the chimney is an external one, and is huge. . It has 2 unlined flues without chimney caps and a 3rd one that is just a dummy. The middle is about 13X18 and has an old Englander insert that burns coal and wood. The insert is inside a Hetilator and works wonderfully.The outside flue is the 8X13 (might be outside measurements since that is the size of Cap I ordered). This is the flue that the other wood stove is connected to. The top of the Hetilator is about 10' down the chimney, so I'm guessing that the stove's pipe comes in at about 20' from the top of the chimney. The chimney is not above the peak of the house because my house is a Very fat A-Frame style house. It is about 5 foot above the roof where it is at.

So, I had high hopes that someone would say to just replace the 8" pipe above the stove and then put a chimney cap on and that would work.

As it is, what would be the cheapest option for getting this stove to work? I'm already in hot water for spending 550 on a stove, so the most cost effective option will be the only possibility of it being anything but a decoration until next winter.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Try going 6 inch from the stove up to the flue, use your 8/6 inch adapter at the flue thimble. More 6 inch pipe is going to heat up faster, may help. You can try this for cheap, but as stated above, you will probably have to go with full liner. Worth a cheap try. Be advised you will have to be watchful on creo buildup in that large of a flue liner. Also, if you have the room, you can try 2 45* instead of the 90*. This is a cheap try, may not work. Best think about a full liner ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.