Drove 400 miles round trip for a $200 Buck model 91

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I restored a 1993 buck 91. I’m in my 4th season and LOVE it. Had to replace a lot, but it wasn’t hard to do. Stove Bright paint is the way to go. Also Woody Stover is the man...
I guess that the draft problem you had a while back was just a ash-plugged cat, then? Did you just simmer it out with the 50/50 distilled water/distilled vinegar solution? As far as me being 'the man,' I love your ironic sense of humor! ;lol Like a buddy of mine occasionally says, "I doan know nuttin." :rolleyes:
I am currently not using the heat shield. I am using a non ceramic catalyst. The manufacturer claims it was created to be used with direct flame and not be affected. So far so good. Without the shield the box is even bigger and easier to vacuum out the cat. The catalyst I have tends to eventually get clogged with ash. Vacuum it each time I clean out and the world is good again. Check out Clear Skies.
So what's your procedure for ramping up a new load and lighting the cat? What temps, etc?
BTW, are you running on an 8" liner or did it work on the 6"?

Oh yeah, the 'Brillo Pad' cats. Clear Skies left a bitter taste in my mouth when I ordered and paid for two cats but they only sent me one. No amount of emailing and calling ever resolved the issue. Luckily it was a small, round cat for the Dutchwest, and they were only $40 apiece. I had it in my SIL's stove..seemed like it fell off in performance after a year or so.
But if it has been going 4 years for you, that would be worth a try. Like you say, a new ceramic is a lot more than $170...pushing 300, I thought. Removing the shield certainly would allow one to get more wood in there.
At what temps does the Brillo Pad run? Does it glow brightly? Does the plume look clean when the Brillo is lit off, or can you still see some smoke? Can't really remember the particulars from my SIL's since I wasn't there running it much..
My unit cruises above 1000, and lights off at 400. It glows when lit and at higher temps. I don’t necessarily see it glowing at the lower end temps but you know it’s lit when the temps climb quickly. I have zero smoke out of the chimney when engaged. Seems to be doing great. I had issue with it plugging, but that was mostly wood that wasn’t ready. This season I have wood 3 years dry and no issues. Pic is from my current fire. Cat probe says 1300...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: Woody Stover
I guess that the draft problem you had a while back was just a ash-plugged cat, then? Did you just simmer it out with the 50/50 distilled water/distilled vinegar solution? As far as me being 'the man,' I love your ironic sense of humor! ;lol Like a buddy of mine occasionally says, "I doan know nuttin." :rolleyes:
So what's your procedure for ramping up a new load and lighting the cat? What temps, etc?
BTW, are you running on an 8" liner or did it work on the 6"?
Full 8” liner at 25’. My old problem was indeed the plugging. The cat came back as new with the rinse technique. Much easier for me to maintain it without the shield. My shield was the difficult bolt on one. After breaking off a bolt to vac the cat it would warp terribly. I removed it and never looked back. I start a normal fire or reload as usual but once the wood is lit and flaming up good I close the bypass. The cat heats up and lights off in about 5 mins with the bypass shut. My draw is so strong that my wood wood be gone in a flash trying to heat the cat with bypass open. That trick allows me to save the load and get some seriously long burn times. Clear skies claimed these new cats light off at much lower temps than ceramic. I think they claimed at 250 or so.

I dunno, it appears to be some kind of wire mesh, then maybe dipped in and coated with the catalyst material? Looks like the price has gone up since Bmore got his. He's using it without the shield and says it's designed to withstand flame. I haven't read the site enough yet to see what they say..
http://catcombustor.mybisi.com/products/buck-stove
View attachment 221563
More info at clearskiesunlimited.com, not as much there as they had years ago. They use to say the technology was created to work with direct flame to use in open fireplaces. Now they say these combustors are not subject thermal crumbling issues. They do sell larger versions for open fireplaces. Sorry to see the prices have gone up. Hope I have another season or more. I’d be very happy with a 5 year life. I burn it hard 24/7. It’s our primary heat for our home.

Attachments

• 68ED02F4-2A6C-4A1A-974D-6F326E1CA5AD.png
    68ED02F4-2A6C-4A1A-974D-6F326E1CA5AD.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 174