Duct work for double walled pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hearthon

Dec 6, 2019
hearthon
I’m wondering if I could use duct work piping for a double walled dyi pipe. And if anybody has any information on how to make a diy double walled pipe.

I’m wondering if I could use duct work piping for a double walled dyi pipe. And if anybody has any information on how to make a diy double walled pipe.
What?

I'm pretty sure duct work wasnt made to contain a chimney fire.

Ask your local small hardware store for their price. Mine had prices lower than online.

I to believe if some one can do or build something I can do it as well. But there are limits. And this is probably one of them.

Search for pipe shield. Woodstock seems to push them, you attach a spaced piece of metal to reduce clearance requirements.

If you do anything, make sure your using stainless steal, other metals when hot can break down and cause hazardous vapors that will make you sick.

No, that would not be appropriate. It is too light gauge and galvanized steel. Galvanized piping can not be used for stove pipe. It will offgas toxic zinc fumes when it gets very hot.

Thank you everyone for the reply’s I found some double wall 3’ pipe for sale so I’ll just run my 2’ pipe through that and technically have a triple wall pipe

Thank you everyone for the reply’s I found some double wall 3’ pipe for sale so I’ll just run my 2’ pipe through that and technically have a triple wall pipe
What? That is a wrong assumption. Please clarify exactly what you are trying to do. Is this for interior or exterior use? What is the new pipe, interior stovepipe or exterior chimney pipe?

This is for going through my shed wall which is none insulated. It’s a double wall stove pipe not sure if it’s interior or exterior. It has a 3’ pipe going through it with a 3.5’ pipe going around it. So I’m going to put my 2’ pipe through it and go through the wall with a triple wall setup and insulate the outside diameter of the pipe with Rockwool.

Yes, I remember now, 3" pipe connected to a camp stove. You keep posting 3' which was confusing.

Ya sorry I keep getting them mixed up. I’m going to add more pipe today and hopefully it draws better I’m still not above my roof line.

This is a completely non-code, seat of the pants installation. Advice has been given on clearances, hearth, code, flue and ignored. There is no need to post updates. As noted in previous threads, you are on your own.

I just put a double walled pipe through my shed. So now it’s basically triple walled with rock wool around the wall and the wood. It’s staying nice and cool.... now it’s time to send the pipe higher outside, I’m using all of your guys opinions. Even around the first is proper clearance and rock wool again around it. It keeps getting safer and safer. But now it’s back smoking.

And I got rid of the hvac pipe I was using for a proper double wall today!!!! Tons of great info came from you guys .

And I got rid of the hvac pipe I was using for a proper double wall today!!!! Tons of great info came from you guys .
What 3" doublewall pipe are you using?

I’m not sure it was on sale at Canadian tire so I bought it. I can get a pic in here later on.

881B2B38-CE14-4F0C-B3F0-FB466071444A.jpeg

It's just fire. What's the worst that could happen, right?

Reactions: BoilerBob