Duct work for double walled pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been wondering that since the first post I saw...
No I really don't think so. Sadly this is really far from the worst I have seen. He is atleast making an attempt at safety even if he is doing it half assed

No I really don't think so. Sadly this is really far from the worst I have seen. He is atleast making an attempt at safety even if he is doing it half assed

He should be looking down more at that wood pile with a stove on/in it, rather than all the time looking up at his pipe. o_O

Reactions: BoilerBob
If we wait, pretty sure this will be on the front page...

Reactions: BoilerBob
The wood is at the bottom drying out for me while I have a fire going. I took a pic of the stove to let you know what kind it is pellet or gas. I’m going to take a pic of the pipe tomorrow and post it. It hold great temp and my wall is nice and cool.

Everybody makes fun of my safety features but in reality behind all the insulation and my triple wall pipe going through the wall my shed walls are pretty much cold to the touch. I know it’s not to code but for a fire for just a hour or two it’s perfect.

I didn’t even know there was a pellet vent of b cent stove pipe? I thought pipes are pipes but hopefully the one I got is made for a wood fire. I’ll send pics soon.

I didn’t even know there was a pellet vent of b cent stove pipe? I thought pipes are pipes but hopefully the one I got is made for a wood fire. I’ll send pics soon.
If it is either of them (which is the only 3" that would be at a hardware store) it is not made to contain exhaust from a wood stove. Pellet vent might hold up but not offer proper protection. B vent could melt. Pipe is not pipe. You clearly spent quite a bit on the solar setup in this shed but refuse to spend much of anything to keep from burning it down. And Batts of insulation leaned up against the wall is not proper protection.

Everybody makes fun of my safety features but in reality behind all the insulation and my triple wall pipe going through the wall my shed walls are pretty much cold to the touch. I know it’s not to code but for a fire for just a hour or two it’s perfect.

I don't think most of the comments are "making fun of" so much as they are expressing legitimate concern for human life. Most folks here seem to be decent caring people who would be upset any time they learn of injury or death from wood heating and all the potentially dangerous associated activities.

It boggles my mind that you have very little experience burning wood, and yet you fail to take the advice of people with lifetimes of experience, people who are respected professionals in the field, people who have seen wood burning related horrors that you (and, admittedly, I) cannot even imagine.

You obviously don't have any respect for your own (and your neighbors', and your family's, and potentially the first responders who may need to come to the scene of your fire) health and safety, and it isn't clear that you respect the people here who have given you the advice you asked for. Kind of pitiful all around.

Ok guys while I agree with everything you are saying be nice. Lol

He has not been rude or disrespectful at all and is atleast trying to make it safer. Hopefully we can get him there but let's not chase him away before that.

I taking all this in as a fiddlers stove setup, something to do while its winter outside..to beat cabin fever. If i was retired and nothing to do all day I'd prob give this a shot, get out of the house a few hours a day and kill time. the only thing I'd do different is more research into tiny house stove setups, youtube could be a great tool sometimes.

I 100% care about safety and I’ve had about 5 fires in there with no problems. I’m changing around my setup to make it safer so after I sent the pic of the pipe if you say that it isint safe or could melt I’ll return that and look for a proper one. But again the wood is cool to the touch. So I don’t know if I should spend a bunch of money if my setup is working.

My main problem is that I’m getting back smoke. I’m putting in another foot of pipe today so we’ll see how that goes.

Bboller: you said I have a nice solar setup in my shed how do you know that?

Kennyp: that’s exactly what it is, a couple hours a month while I’m in there honestly just playing around with solar. I’m not retired I just can’t stand sitting inside and watching tv. I’ve watched YouTube video but by the time you get a stove and the pipes for a tiny home your around $1000 and for me that’s just too much for the amount/reasons I use it.

You guys should see how hard the solar panel forum people made fun of me, you guys are taking it easy on me in comparison to them.

They just kept sending me pics of extension cords :(

240473F5-6DD7-447A-900C-36CD8FA9E984.jpeg B52C97B8-559E-4698-AF5E-30E5C0B09301.jpeg 6D628703-97D7-4154-B270-61B45A3C40DE.jpeg

Triple walled insulated with Rockwool!!! Common.
No it is not common. And insulated chimney pipe still needs 2" clearance to combustibles.

Better than what it was anyway.

You mentioned black smoke. What are you burning in the stove? Shouldn't normally see any black smoke coming out of the chimney.

Is this pipe good? I’m not getting black smoke maybe the auto correct changed it I meant to type back smoke. It was smoking back into the shed a little. I just raised the pipe and it’s better. I need that rope that goes around the door for a seal and I think it’ll be ok.

It stopped smoking while it’s burning but still smokes when I open the door

It’s smoking soo nice outside now No disruptions.
image.jpg

Creosote draining back and to the outside?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 113
Is that what that is? How do I get rid of that? I was wondering why that was there. I’m burning wet wood with some dry. Is that black stuff bad?

Is that what that is? How do I get rid of that? I was wondering why that was there. I’m burning wet wood with some dry. Is that black stuff bad?
How do you get rid of it? A proper chimney and dry wood. Yes it is bad that stuff will cause a chimney fire which your setup won't be able to handle. It may keep things cool when the pipe is 4 or 5 hundred degrees. But 2000 degrees is a totally different ball game

Reactions: blacktail
The fire temp should be around 400-500 I usually keep it around 600 I’ll start closing vents when it get higher. I’ll start only burning dry wood as long as I have it.

The fire temp should be around 400-500 I usually keep it around 600 I’ll start closing vents when it get higher. I’ll start only burning dry wood as long as I have it.
Where are you measuring temps