Early Winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... August 10th, and I'm wearing flannel!!!

I'm all about winter. I'd love to move to the UP, but my wife doesn't like the idea, so Ohio it is... ;O)

If we do have a long cold winter, I hope my 4 cords is enough!

-SF

bart takes geretol, and gets a senior discount on wood.

Hanko said:
BrotherBart said:
BTW: 66 degrees with a cold rain falling here at five p.m. A mite chilly and wet it is.

well with all the stoves and saws you have im sure youll stay warm. I ask you before, why so many? stoves that is

I think BrotherBart is an example of the affects of hanging out at Hearth.com tooooooo much! ;-P :)~

Hanko said:
bart takes geretol, and gets a senior discount on wood.

Actually, I have it on good authority that Bart drinks Natural Light, actually knows how to spell Geritol, and that he fells, limbs, drags, bucks, splits and stacks his own wood. When I get to his age (in about 4 months) I hope I can still do as much productive work. Rick

Got down to 48 here the other night.(western NC)

Record or near record snowfall in Maine last winter, record or near record rainfall (slightly over 5" here already in August) this summer, generally below average temperatures. A folk predictor of snow depth for the coming winter is the distance from the ground garden spiders build their webs. Saw one in the electric lines the other day. Either a demented arachnid or a very snowy winter coming up.

Hanko said:
ya it was 49 here in SE mich last night. Old lady wanted me to build a fire, right. Im not building a fire in Aug

Heh, same here. The wife says "couldn't we build just an eeny-weeny fire???"...to which I said "NO...we just had our last fire in JUNE for cryin' out loud!".

I think we can thank our brethren to the north...those pesky Canadians for the early end to summer!!!. If it's doesn't warm back up i'm going to send them a bill for some sort of damages :p

I think some folks nailed it but in general [and obvious i guess], weather is quite variable, especially in some regions. One of the great things about the northeast, to me, is the variability. Some summer you get heat waves, others you get but one or two 90 degree days and others you get rain every weekend. What is wrong with that? I must admit that these cool nights - it is tough to close up some windows but it must be done. And not running the A/C - that is a good thing.

CTwoodburner said:
Some summers you get heat waves, others you get but one or two 90 degree days and others you get rain every weekend. What is wrong with that?

It's not the variability...it's that I know what's coming next and for crying out loud it's still AUGUST!!. I can't remember the last time we were in the 60's for a high in early/mid August. I WANT MY SUMMER BACK!

fossil said:
Backwoods Savage said:
...Rick, according to the calendar and astrological things, you are right. However, ask any meteorologist and they will tell you that Spring is March-May, Summer is June-August, Fall is September-November and Winter is December-February. I agree with them.

So do I, well close, anyway. Vernal Equinox ~ March 21st, Summer Sostice ~ June 21st, Autumnal Equinox ~ September 21st, and Winter Solstice ~ December 21st. It's got absolutely nothing to do with Astrology, or any other superstition, it's got everything to do with the science of Astronomy, and the Earth's tilt from the plane of its orbit, and its annual travel about the Sun. The temperatures we experience on Earth naturally anticipate or lag behind the actual events in the annual dance of the Earth about the Sun, because the Earth and its atmoshpere and its oceans have considerable (by human standards) thermal mass, but it's by no means consistent throughout our biosphere. Perhaps Meteorologists prefer to speak in terms of "nominal", or "felt" seasons, I dunno, I'm not one. Ask any Astronomer, and he'll tell you just what I've told you. Ask any Astrologist, and he'll tell you your future. :p Rick

Whoops. I said astrology and not astronomy. Stupid of me and glad you caught that. No matter though, we'll take the seasons as they come.

BJ64 said:
I think BrotherBart is an example of the affects of hanging out at Hearth.com tooooooo much! ;-P :)~

Never have agreed with an Okie in my Texas born life, but on this one I think you are right. :red:

Backwoods Savage said:
No matter though, we'll take the seasons as they come.

So we shall, as we must. I confidently predict that Winter will officially begin sometime on December 21st. Winter weather, however, will most assuredly arrive well before that astronomical event. Rick

Going to split the rest of the downed wood in my yard into planks and make a GD ark.

Oh- look- we got a break in the rain! Instead we get serious thunder showers. Got to put little puppy floaties on my dogs when I take them out to poop. Need a dinghy to get to my car in the work pahking lot. I think if I backed into my woodpile in the driveway it would turn into paper pulp.

If you haven't seen a cold day or night in the middle of Summer, you haven't lived long enough (or in New England).
Heck, inhale and exhale (air, wiseguy) long enough and you might even see it snow in the Summer.

We have been getting into the lower 40's at night for at least a week.
Been very dry, grass is brown.
Gets into the 80's during the day.
The hornets and wasps are going crazy.

another day.....=====rain when will it stop??????????

I work in the seasonal department for a box store here at the Jersey Shore. Last year, I thought for sure we were going to get walloped with steady cold conditions with the amount of mouse traps being sold starting late August. However, every 3 weeks for about 3 week periods it was warm/cold ALL Winter. We only got 1 round of 6" snow in March. Freaky weather we are having this year, waterspouts on Barnegat Bay this afternoon. Our town has had 2 hailstorms. 41 years on this planet, I have witnessed 2 hailstorms, both in the last 2 months.

The coolness is not bad, I am sick of the rain/thunder/lightening.
It's cutting into my fishing time :(

Statement as of 11:15 PM EDT on August 10, 2008

... Record cool high temperature set at Buffalo...

A record cool high temperature was set at Buffalo for today...
Sunday August 10th. The high temperature only reached 64 degrees at
103 PM EDT... breaking the old record coolest high temperature of 66
set way back in 1882.

Buffalo, NY, that is. That's quite an old record!

Poult

Poult said:

set way back in 1882.

Poult

1882. thats impressive

woodconvert said:
CTwoodburner said:
Some summers you get heat waves, others you get but one or two 90 degree days and others you get rain every weekend. What is wrong with that?

It's not the variability...it's that I know what's coming next and for crying out loud it's still AUGUST!!. I can't remember the last time we were in the 60's for a high in early/mid August. I WANT MY SUMMER BACK!

Last time I remember was in early 90's. Seems it was 1993 when most of the corn in northern Michigan was lost to frosts or freeze in both July and August. Back in the mid 80's we had the summer that wasn't. Then we had lots of days in both July and August when we did not see 70 degrees.

Poult said:

set way back in 1882.

Poult

Record Report
Statement as of 12:13 PM EDT on August 23, 2008

...Record high temperature set at Buffalo...

A record high temperature of 88 degrees was set at Buffalo on
Thursday August 22nd. This breaks the old record of 87 set way back
in 1877.

The weather is DEFINITELY getting weirder!

Poult

if canada gets cold earlier (southern) with snow then usually the part of the u.s. closest to it gets the bad winter... ex usually if southeast canada niagra falls area gets real cold we have bad winters here in the east as when the jetstream drops the air travels longer over cold land and doesn't warm up as much
if there is no snow pack its easier for the air to warm up ..

woodconvert said:
Hanko said:
ya it was 49 here in SE mich last night. Old lady wanted me to build a fire, right. Im not building a fire in Aug

Heh, same here. The wife says "couldn't we build just an eeny-weeny fire???"...to which I said "NO...we just had our last fire in JUNE for cryin' out loud!".

I think we can thank our brethren to the north...those pesky Canadians for the early end to summer!!!. If it's doesn't warm back up i'm going to send them a bill for some sort of damages :p

Blame that damn groundhog that is always lying to us!! Next time he gets it wrong--strangle him :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.