Echo cs 590 vs Stihl ms 291 or Stihl ms 311

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No comparison the 590 is a great saw dont get me wrong but you would have to be out of your mind to think it's anywhere near a 362.

There's a lot to like about that Echo, but it's obvious when you actually know what a pro husky or stihl is.
Exactly. And I've also owned both brands. Echo makes great saws, but there's just no comparing them on performance to any pro saw.

Reactions: Newbie78
And I forgot to mention Dolmar alongside Stihl and Husky. Cadillac saws. Unfortunately, Makita killed them.

Reactions: Ashful
Exactly. And I've also owned both brands. Echo makes great saws, but there's just no comparing them on performance to any pro saw.
And not only performance. There are a lot of differences you wouldn't realize until you had them all.

Oh, and as for ms362's being dogs, that is simply incorrect. If mine can keep up to my oe 262xp that says something I think. The 362 is a beautiful saw. Smooooth. And I've run a 562xp as well. Another nice saw with inherent flaws, unfortunately.

The 590 is simply not in the same league as any of those, but has an appeal of its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
And not only performance. There are a lot of differences you wouldn't realize until you had them all.
The two things that drove me most batty about my prior Echo was that access to the filler caps was blocked by the chain brake lever, meaning you absolutely NEEDED a funnel to fill the saw from most jugs or cans, and the filler holes were so small it was basically impossible to see when they were approaching full. I probably spilled more fuel and bar oil filling that stupid saw, than the rest of my Stihl saws combined.

One of my Stihl's has filler caps so big you'd think they came from an old lawn tractor. No spills with that saw!