Empress convection blower removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toadstool

Feb 8, 2011
Looks like I'm going to have to replace the convection blower (or bearings) in my Empress, like in this thread:
"Enviro Empress FS Convection Blower Issue"

Will the blower come out with just taking the 2 sheet metal sides near the back off (the ones with the TORX screws)? It sure doesn't look
like there's enough room to pull it out. If not, could someone give me some steps on how to remove one of the cast iron sides??
Also, in the above thread it was mentioned you can replace the bearings instead of the whole thing. Where could I find some
new bearings?

Thanks.

Short answer... YES. I've become a pro at this (4 Convection blowers in 3 heating seasons). All you need is a torx screwdriver, flashlight, and PATIENCE. There's not a lot of room to work so be paitent, but you'll get it!

Disconnect power to stove

Take off the access panels on each side.

Disconnect Power to the convection blower.

There blower is mounted on a plate that is affixed to the stove. There are 4 torx screws, 2 on each side of the plate. Note, You don't have to completely remove all the screws.

Loosen the 2 screws on the non-motor side and completely remove them from the motor side. The plate has slits, not holes for the screws. This will make mounting easier when you replace the blower.

After removing the blower/plate assembly, remove the plate (3 more torx screws) and mount it on the new blower.

Slide the blower/plate assembly in from the motor side access (right hand side looking at the stove). Since you still have the 2 screws on that side, try to slide the slits of the mounting plate back onto the screws.

Once you have those lined up, reinstall the 2 screws on the motor side.

Move to the left side access and tighten up the screws.

Reattach the Power supply.

Put access panels back on.

That should be it.

Good. At least I don't have to mess with the cast iron sides. I'll take a look at the bearings to see if they're worth replacing. At the cost of the
blower I hate to think about going through one every 2-3 years!

Thanks.

andrewb,

Yes they are sealed bearings. They cannot "easily" be relubed, "BUT" they definetly can be replaced. You will need a couple of specialty tools to replace them. A bearing puller to remove them from the shaft and some sort of driver or arber press to reassemble.

If the unit has sleeved bearings you can't get replacement sleeve's. Fasco doesn't offer them(I can't find them anyway-If someone has leads please post!). An A.O Smith motor can be rebearing or resleeved as both are available.

I think someone wants you to think you can't replace the bearings so you can purchase the new blowers. Trust me it can be done and I have done several "so called"non servicable units.

A note to replacement bearings. Spend a tick more for SKF or other better made bearings. As some of the cheapie's are garbage. If you need help with replacements post the bearing numbers and I will see if I can help!

I think it's out of warranty, as it's on the 3rd year. I had to replace the auger motor already, too. It sounds like the noise is coming from the
left side (facing the stove) which would be the non-motor side. I'll hacv to wait and see what type of bearing it is later; hopefully I can fix it as
it looks like the motor is still fine.

And thanks for the PM, j-takeman.

toadstool

Good thought, but this is from the owners manual; I'm guessing the convection blower is included under "Blowers":

Limited Two (2) Year Warranty:
Under this warranty, Sherwood Industries Ltd. covers: Ignitor, Auger Motor, Circuit Board, Timers, Temp
Sensors, Blowers, Vacuum Switch and Wire Harness, against defects in materials and workmanship, for
part repair or replacement for the first two (2) years and limited labour for the first two (2) years to
the original purchaser. Please see the exclusions and limitation section below as certain restrictions and
exclusions apply to this warranty.

Not only that, but the dealer in Bangor, ME where I bought it went out of business a few months afterwards.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!!

toadstool said:
Good thought, but this is from the owners manual; I'm guessing the convection blower is included under "Blowers":

Limited Two (2) Year Warranty:
Under this warranty, Sherwood Industries Ltd. covers: Ignitor, Auger Motor, Circuit Board, Timers, Temp
Sensors, Blowers, Vacuum Switch and Wire Harness, against defects in materials and workmanship, for
part repair or replacement for the first two (2) years and limited labour for the first two (2) years to
the original purchaser. Please see the exclusions and limitation section below as certain restrictions and
exclusions apply to this warranty.

Not only that, but the dealer in Bangor, ME where I bought it went out of business a few months afterwards.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!!

The warranty is between you and Sherwood Industries go get'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.