Enamel Paint(problems) Jotul F 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sold on the green enamel? I am wondering if they would settle on replacing it with a new flat black, or blue/black Oslo. Aren't they a little less expensive? Maybe something the dealer/Jotul would be more likely to work out depending on numbers of whats in stock or surplus.

My thoughts exactly if given a choice I would take blue/black but I am not sure they are going to do anything, they had 2 f-500 in stock when I purchased my stove so I had a choice between brown and green both were beautiful stoves. The next shippment the price was going up like $300. So thats how I ended up with the green.

But not sure but I think matti black is the cheapest paint job, also not sure but think blue/black is most expenseve, but I am starting to have my doughts that they do anything thats sort of why I am wondering what you would do, if this happened to your stove.

Read your waranty sometimes, not clear at all.

My real concern here is that it keeps getting worse.

And thanks I am sure some of the Jotul owners are wondering what they do.

I'd get a flat black stove. I have an old gloss black enameled stove. The finish has alligatored and cracked/peeled extensively, but it can't be fixed.
At least if it was standard black, I'd be able to touch it up or repaint.

Enamel stoves are like fancy new cars. The first scratch always hurts.

I would vote for the blue-black if they will provide it.

cptoneleg said:
My thoughts exactly if given a choice I would take blue/black but I am not sure they are going to do anything, they had 2 f-500 in stock when I purchased my stove so I had a choice between brown and green both were beautiful stoves. The next shippment the price was going up like $300. So thats how I ended up with the green.

But not sure but I think matti black is the cheapest paint job, also not sure but think blue/black is most expenseve, but I am starting to have my doughts that they do anything thats sort of why I am wondering what you would do, if this happened to your stove.

Read your waranty sometimes, not clear at all.

My real concern here is that it keeps getting worse.

And thanks I am sure some of the Jotul owners are wondering what they do.

I'm not sure if popularity or region or sales or what goes into pricing but I think the majolica enamel brown was more expensive than the blue/black when we bought several months ago. Flat black was the cheapest. I assumed it was because the enamel just cost more to manufacture. If that is true, I would guess the green enamel is more expensive also.
I think it was BeGreen who stated earlier the Blue/black was not majolica enamel and tougher. Maybe you could use this to bargain with the dealer/Jotul. Express your concerns about having the same default occuring again with a majolica enamel finish and push for the tougher blue/black.
Good luck.

+1 for a new replacement. We all know that there are other brands that will do the heating job for half the price of a Jotul. You didn't pay top dollar for a luxury brand and extra for the enamel finish to be told to suck it up when it peels off. >:-( Some people might not care, but you clearly do, since you clean your stove with Q-tips. I would e-mail the link for this thread to somebody at Jotul and let them know that the www is watching.

For those interested in this The dealer called me today and said Jotul had offered $250. some touch up paint and a whole new top, I said "NO"

I said my main concern is the paint will continue to come off and I can not get a new paint job for $250 , and I asked about the Blue-Black, it is $300 cheaper than the enamels, Anyway I stated that I didn't want another enamel but a Blue-Black instead,

Well it's there move,

Good for you, Cpt! Hang tough! $250 ?! Is that ~ 10% of what you paid for this stove? Do they mean to suggest that anyone would buy this stove, if it were sitting in the showroom with the enamel bubbling off and and a "10% Off" sign on it, or do they mean to suggest that you bought it already, and the Jotul warranty means nothing? Someone at Jotul needs to get on the ball. They are already damaging their reputation.

I would have expected something better than this from Jotul. It's a shame they won't stand behind their products and make things right.

BeGreen said:
This is a majolica porcelain enamel according to Jotul. I would classify this as a defect in workmanship. Unfortunately, without returning the stove Jotul is not going to be as aware of the issue. It may be unrelated, but I'm wondering if this has anything to Jotul sub-contracting casting to VC. This kind of peeling seems to have shown up on VC stoves, but the Jotuls of the past had excellent majolica finishes.

Nothing to do with VC all Oslo and all free standing (-TL 50) are from norway

Please expand on this. What is the source of your information?

cptoneleg said:
For those interested in this The dealer called me today and said Jotul had offered $250. some touch up paint and a whole new top, I said "NO"

I said my main concern is the paint will continue to come off and I can not get a new paint job for $250 , and I asked about the Blue-Black, it is $300 cheaper than the enamels, Anyway I stated that I didn't want another enamel but a Blue-Black instead,

Well it's there move,

Hopefully they will come around. It may help to let them know you will be contacting them every year to get a paint job if they dont replace it. I would think it would be a logical assumption that due to the defect, other areas will begin to peel and chip as well. If they know you are serious and wont go away easy, they might be more inclined to deal with the problem once and for all instead of having multiple complaints from a customer year after year.
good luck

BeGreen said:
Jotul is my source they used VC to cast replacement parts and parts for stoves that are made in Maine the gas line wood inserts and the 50TL
they have stoped using them a few months ago

Thats a bummer about your stove. I am wondering if Jotuls warrantee is similar to Lopi's in that if there is a warrantee issue. Lopi will only pay one way freight back to have the unit shipped...meaning that either the buyer or seller is going to be responsible for the other way of the shipping cost.
Sounds like a new stove is in order and the dealer should take it back for what you paid for it and then they can deal with jotul.

stoveguy13 said:
BeGreen said:
Jotul is my source they used VC to cast replacement parts and parts for stoves that are made in Maine the gas line wood inserts and the 50TL
they have stoped using them a few months ago

Thanks for the follow up and clarification stoveguy. We had a post about a month ago stating that VC was currently producing some castings for Jotul Maine, but without much other detail.

I don't know how bad this situation is in terms of destroying Jotul's reputation since this is the only incident of this sort that I can recall off the top of my head (then again there could be more threads on this . . . I can barely remember what I ate for dinner last night) . . . but I do agree that Jotul should be stepping up to the plate to offer a full replacement value and make the customer happy . . . especially if the customer is willing to pay the difference for a stove with a different finish (i.e. the blue black finish).

cptoneleg said:

Well it's there move,

Less than 24 hrs after this.

Dealer- What color stove do you want? Me- Blue_Black. Dealer- Ok when would you want this delievered we have it in stock. Me- ASAP Dealer- OK 9/16/2011 between noon and 3 pm, Me- OK Dealer- You can have the Green in about 3 weeks if you want, we will not pay you the difference the BB is not as expensive. Me- No problem see you Friday

Well I am very proud of my chice of stoves , before I bought stove, or joined this site I read all you Guys and Gals had to say, and I purchased a Jotul, I think, because beauty, and 150 yrs experience, and WARRENTY

Fantastic. Kudos to Jotul and the dealer.

Edit: Now, let the dealer’s kids go.

cptoneleg said:
cptoneleg said:

Well it's there move,

Less than 24 hrs after this.

Dealer- What color stove do you want? Me- Blue_Black. Dealer- Ok when would you want this delievered we have it in stock. Me- ASAP Dealer- OK 9/16/2011 between noon and 3 pm, Me- OK Dealer- You can have the Green in about 3 weeks if you want, we will not pay you the difference the BB is not as expensive. Me- No problem see you Friday

Well I am very proud of my chice of stoves , before I bought stove, or joined this site I read all you Guys and Gals had to say, and I purchased a Jotul, I think, because beauty, and 150 yrs experience, and WARRENTY

Good to hear. Glad it was resolved the right way.

Sweet! I guess the bean counters have made it standard procedure at most large companies to try to buy you off cheap first when you have a claim. I'm still surprised at that attempted maneuver from Jotul though. . .I have an image of them as a luxury Euro import. It's hard to imagine Mercedes trying something similar if a customer came back after 10 months with the clear coat peeling off. . .probably wouldn't give them a new car, but they probably wouldn't send them home with a can of touch up paint either. Anyhow, Cpt, I'm happy that it's going to have a happy ending for you. Well done. :)

Good to hear that they have followed through before the heating season. I hope you like the blue-black finish. It was a winner in our home and never showed any problems.

My wife said I don't care what color as long as it heats like that one. I assured her the heat would be the same.

Thanks to everyone on this site, for advice on this issue and others.

Well I already miss my little green stove,

And these are the folks that were very nice and worked with me on this The Stop Winchester Va.

Attachments

• SDC10245.jpg
    SDC10245.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 449
  • SDC10295.jpg
    SDC10295.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 430
cptoneleg said:
My wife said I don't care what color as long as it heats like that one. I assured her the heat would be the same.

Thanks to everyone on this site, for advice on this issue and others.

Well I already miss my little green stove,
nice stove pic Capt. Ive never seen a wood stove installed in a walk in shower before! ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.