Encore 0028 damper issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

67 cutlass

Sep 8, 2011
Swansea, MA
Hello all! I'm new here and hoping I could get some help on my Vermont Castings Encore 0028.

I just recently took the whole stove apart and put it back together with new gaskets everywhere and more high temp cement than I expected it would need on the rebuild.
I used the Service Manual for the Encore 0028 / 2140 models. I followed every step by the book. The only problem I've got is the damper linkages. I put it together the way I interpreted the manual says to. When I went for the first fire and the stove griddle got hot to 600F I tried to close the damper to activate the catalyst. The damper wouldn't budge for me to close. So I take the linkage access panel off when it cools down and I tried a different setup with the linkages which seemed to move much smoother and no chance of hitting anything unlike the first setup I tried.
Fire up the stove build the fire slow to 600F. Go to close the damper and it won't budge again! So as I let the fire burn out and get the stove cooler. The griddle was reading about 450F and I was able to move the damper a little bit. When it got down to 350-400F I was able to close it no problem at all.
I know that as the stove heats up it will expand and what not. I just don't understand why this is happening.
Is it possible I may have tightened up certain areas of the stove too much?
Does anybody have picture of what the damper linkage is supposed to look like? If so it would be appreciated.
Cooler weather is coming and I'm getting worried about getting this stove working right.

Thanks again and great forum here too!

Welcome to the forum & a friendly bump.

I am stumped on this one......something is either not reassembled right or some of the moving parts are a bit warped from overfiring in the past. Have you played around with the damper adjustment screw behind the damper door?

Thanks for the friendly bump on this thread and the welcome.
I'm gonna try to get some pics up soon.

Which screw is for damper adjustment? Is it the one that holds down the torsion bar with a half round clip just behind the door?
If so, how would one go about adjusting it for proper function. I don't remember the service manual (57 pages) mention an adjustment screw but I'll look for it in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.