englander 13 hinge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
the top hinge pin on my 13nc door keeps working out and i have to knock it back in. Any one else have this problem? Would a little graphite on the pin help or hurt?

I've had mine for about 2 1/2 months and haven't had any problems. Graphite would make it slide easier, its used as a lubricant. I would contact Englander and tell them what is happening and see if they'll send another pin. is it still under warranty? Either the pin is a hair too small or the inside of the hinge is a hair too big. You could also make the pin a hair bigger with a mig welder and grinder and then drive it in. It shouldn't take but a few thousandths.

Every steel stove I have ever owned has done that and so does my 30-NC. Coat the pin with graphite and give it a tap every now and then.

No problem with the top hinge pin on my Englander 13, it's my bottom one that works out. Not too worried about it, just a whack now and again.

Alan

Same issue with mine too..no big deal though, just a tap every now and then like the other posters.

I would use a center punch and make 2 or 3 light punches in hole that the pin slides into, as long as it doesn't need to rotate on the pin. Then tap the pin back in. I've always heard it called "staking". Shouldn't slide up on its own anymore, and will still be able to remove it if needed. But it might not work in this application, hard to say with out seeing the hinge system.

Kinda what kgrant said. Take the pins out to the shop and center punch a couple of pricks in it just enough to raise a little metal and tighten the fit.
My Liberty doesn't do it and I wouldn't except it if it did.
That's the kinda thing to give the wife a heart attack.... hmmm. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.