Englander 25-tpi13 pellet insertlow flame issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
I recently installed the Englander pellet insert. I am concerned with the low flame. The first 20 mins the flame is what I call normal. After this the flame drops to maybe an inch high and in some cases just looks as if the pellets are just smoldering in the burn pot. The oak is installed. I am wondering if I need to adjust the controll board settings to adjust the fuel feed and air to make the stove efficient. Does any one have any recommendations? I have not made any adjustments. Thank you.

Would be hard to judge flame quality as it would reach temp and idle (just enough pellets to keep burning) fairly quickly.

I don't know here is a pic of it after start up. Maybe this is normal and I'm just not used to pellet stoves. I just feel that its not running efficiently.

Attachments

• IMG_5188.JPG
    IMG_5188.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 106
I don't know here is a pic of it after start up. Maybe this is normal and I'm just not used to pellet stoves. I just feel that its not running efficiently.
Do you have it connected to a t-stat

No I do not.

Customer service says this is normal for the stove. I'm just not happy with the heat output and flame height. I feel it is inefficient and should be resolved.

Even at start up the flame is lazy and creates a lot of smoke. Definitely not a blow torch flame.

I installed one of these last fall for a family member. What heat setting is giving you that low flame pictured above? And the smoking on initial start seems to be normal the way the igniter is off to the side and pellets dropping in the center. It takes quite a while to get enough pellets on top the igniter to get a good flame going. Sometimes even needing 2 start up cycles to actually light. Starting the stove on heat setting 5 will will give it the fastest start and least amount of smoke. Or what I have him do when he wants to fire the stove back up is throw a small cup full of pellets right over the igniter and just leave the heat setting where you want it.

The stove is set at 141. Last night I changed the settings to 4 6 1 and had improved heat, flame and a cleaner burn. I may try 5 5 1 to see how that goes. I'm just doing trial and error. Just seemed that the stove was not running optimal and I imagine settings will have to change w different pellets.

Each time I do start up I begin at 5 and drop it down to 1.

So far pellets seem to be a pain. I just installed this insert so that's why I'm messing around w it.

Still think I prefer my wood stove over this pellet insert. To challenging to find the proper burn.

With the factory settings of 1-4-1 heat setting 1 is kinda like a maintenance flame and burn rate, just enough to keep it burning and room air blower on lowest setting. Pellet brand does make a big difference on these stoves so you'll have to find what works best in your area. We're in central Pa and Barefoot pellets do the trick for us. By manipulating the stove setting your actually just getting heat setting 1 to run auger feed and blowers to operate at say a heat setting of 2 or 3 or maybe even higher. That is fine if thats where you plan to run the stove all the time, all stoves need some tinkering to perform there best. But messing with it to burn to its fullest on heat setting 1 will really throw it off when you try 3 and possibly 4 when it gets cold. We've never had ours over 3. The pellet stove will never compare to a wood stove though as par as that feeling of warmth though.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.