Englander 30 nch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with that $650 price. Even the smaller Englander stoves at HD are almost twice that price.

I'm not sure I want the 30NC but to spend $999 for a 13NC just seems nuts.

Is this a promo? Clearance?

With Lowe's stopping stocking the Englander stoves and Home Depot now doing the same, the dirt cheap year end prices are gonna be history. Kinda looks like they figured out that shipping and lugging 500 pound stuff and then having to clear it out dirt cheap to make room for lawn mowers is kinda nuts.

OK. So will I see the $650 price next fall?

Also the 17vl seems like what I'm looking for - a tad smaller and under $500

Black Jaque Janaviac said:

I don't think it is gonna happen. I paid a grand for a 30 in 2005 and have no regrets.

I paid $649 plus tax and got free shipping to my door for my 30-nch and will install it this fall in the new addition. At that price, I'm trying to imagine how purty the stove really is compared to an Alderlea... It's got that big glass door and those brass trim pieces for the front stove lip and ash tray below the door and that brass looking spring-ey door knob. PLEASE TELL ME IT IS AS ATTRACTIVE AS A STOVE THAT COSTS 4 TIMES AS MUCH!!!!!! Maybe some rose colored glasses and a brass kettle on top.

Really, though, I'm thinking $649 is a beautiful thing ;)

Bill

Warmth in the dead of winter is a very nice thing. At that point a barrel stove is a pleasure as long as it is safe and providing warmth. You have a great stove, enjoy it!

BrotherBart said:
Black Jaque Janaviac said:

I don't think it is gonna happen. I paid a grand for a 30 in 2005 and have no regrets.

If its $650 again next year im gettin one for the workshop. Talked my son into buying one last month .Cant have too many woodstoves.

It's not even $650 now it's $899, and I agree with BrotherBart. I jumped on the deal because I don't think we'll see it again like that ever.

i was told by h.d. that they aren't going to stock wood stoves any longer...they will still be available through on-line ordering. with this knowledge, i called about 5-6 h.d. stores and asked there price on the 13 nc. they all had them at a discount price of $519. two of the closest ones were firm in their price and were not willing to take and offer. one h.d. was a half hour farther than the other two accepted an offer of $399. i told this to the closer h.d. stores, and after speaking with the assistant mgr. was told in a blatantly unbelieving tone, well then buy it from that one. so i did. thought i could save a buck or two on gas by dealing with the closer stores...last check, they still had the stoves in stock.

this is why it still pays to shop around, even within the same chain.

yooper, fantastic deal! A savings like that helps take the sting out of the cost of new flue pipe. Good job!

thanks beetle...i have family at both the east and west slope of your state. great place to be...but 99 lbs has had enough of colorado to last a life time! not me

Well, on Thursday the Home Depot website listed the 30nc for $649 interestingly the web site gave no indication that the price was a sale price. They showed that the store nearest me had one available.

On Friday the website changed and the price went back up to $1199. So off to HD I went to see if there was some mix up. I was kind of bummed that I might have missed out.

Evidently H.D. is getting out of the woodstove business? Or so the sales person told me (I don't expect accurate information from minimum wage employees). The $649 price is just a way to get them out of the stores. This same sales person told me they were all out of 30NCs and pointed out a 13NC which was similarly discounted. I looked up at the top of the rack and saw two 30NC boxes way up there. I went home to discuss the major purchase with the finance department. Got the OK, then went back and one of the two 30NCs was gone!

Today I go to get my 30NC with the trailer.

I intend to put it in a finished part of the basement. My dilemna was choosing between the 30 and the 13NC. If I get the 30 I'm afraid the basement will be uninhabitable, but I'm hoping the heat will rise upstairs and possibly heat the entire house which is be 3 levels. Basement, main floor, and upstairs. It would be nice if the 30NC could do all three levels.

Now here's the part that makes the choice tough. If, in the event that I can't get enough heat up to the top floor I will burn in my V.C. Montpelier insert which is in the mainfloor living room. Now if I have to burn both, I'm thinking I'd rather have the 13NC which would not cook us out of the basement living area. The basement is not insulated (yet) so that might take some of the oomph out of the 30NC. The stove will be located at the bottom of the stairs. The stairs to the top floor is directly above the basement stairway located in the center of the house.

The situation has enough pluses and minuses for a good heating set up that I really have no way of knowing what to expect until the woodburner is in place. Ideally the 30NC will make the basement around 80 degrees, the mainfloor around 70, and the top floor around 60 when temps outside are in the teens. Then the basement would be tolerable as well as the bedrooms for most of the winter. Then on those windy days or when the temps drop below zero we can fire up the Montpelier and between the two we should be toasty warm.

You don't have to pack-out the 30 if you are concerned about the blistering heat this stove is supposed to offer. If you can get one at the $649 price and the free shipping, I'd forget about going to the stove to buy it. I ordered mine from a Home Depot in Concord NH on the website as that's were I could find one in stock. I'm in VA and the prices in this state were around $1,000. I got the stove for $649 plus tax and free shipping to my door. I figured that was going to be a costly drive for that stove from NH to VA, but it turns out the stove was shipped from the factory in Monroe VA. Who knows where your Englander would come from if you order it on line, but they are a great bang for the buck.

If you can find a deal on the Englander and don't like it, I think you could make a few bucks on it if you decided to sell it. At least with the 30, if you need to crank some serious heat, you got the capacity vs the 13.

Good luck with your choice.
Bill

With the 30 you can just turn it down for less heat and it will require much less frequent loading. THe 13 can only go up so far and will probably be maxed out just heating that un insulated basement as well as frequent loadings. Its a no brainer, get the 30. You can always move the heat up through other floors. I can heat my 3 floors from the basement with just a small fan under a floor vent.

Got my 30 in Jan. I was looking for a smaller insert but my father in-law talked me into the 30. I couldnt be happier (Well I could have been if i had paid $649 for it!).

It sits about 15 feet from the couch we utilize every day and only 2 times have we been chased out from it getting too hot.

No ones commented on the OP getting a cord of seasoned wood for $50! If I could get that price....... well Id have alot (more) of wood on hand!

Great stove, Great price. Well done sir, well done.

After my wife found the delivery receipt the secret is out. Anyway after long preperations I am ready to unvail my NC-30.

Attachments

• nc-30 2.jpg
    nc-30 2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 296
another pic. the room is 28x20 with 11' pitched ceiling. Brother Bart, Can I get that shirt in an extra large?

Attachments

• nc-30.jpg
    nc-30.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 309
Looks Great. I have had 3 Fires in my 30 since the install last Sun.

People say there "cheap". Yep. They are cheap and pretty and a Great Heater!!

Looks fantastic. I can't wait till season really starts. There is about a dozen of us who will be 1st time 30 users. Lots of learning, but lots os people on here with the same stove, to help guide along.

DexterDay said:

Looks fantastic. I can't wait till season really starts. There is about a dozen of us who will be 1st time 30 users. Lots of learning, but lots os people on here with the same stove, to help guide along.

Right on. Had one fire in mine since install this past tuesday. I too, are really looking forward to the burn season which looks like it might materialize by this thursday according to enviroment canada weather.

DexterDay said:

Right on. Had one fire in mine since install this past tuesday. I too, are really looking forward to the burn season which looks like it might materialize by this thursday according to enviroment canada weather.

If I ever have the space/clearances worked out for a 30, I am definitely buying one. For my current setup, however, the Endeavor was the best fit based on it's really tight CTCs.

One XXL coming up.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 377
I bought one too for my parents restaurant. I have nothing but good things form the experts here. It will be in Monday and be installed this week sometime. It looks very similar to my Buck 74 with the exception of my 74 being .25" + construction. The warranty seems great so how can you go wrong!

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I bought one too for my parents restaurant. I have nothing but good things form the experts here. It will be in Monday and be installed this week sometime. It looks very similar to my Buck 74 with the exception of my 74 being .25" + construction. The warranty seems great so how can you go wrong!

The top plate on the 30 is quarter inch with the rest being 3/16".

Status
Not open for further replies.