Englander bearing question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeP

Aug 13, 2011
Upstate NY
I cleaned unit and was greasing the auger bearings The bottom went fine, Top bearing grease came out inside hopper. Thanks any info

Were the auger/motors removed from the stove while greasing?

The Top motor was off. Bottom was on, should they be off while greasing? I was going to order bearing figured this site has been so great I'd ask before I did. Want everything running smooth when the cold comes. I also ran the board test everything great just want to button it up but before I do want to know if top bearing is good.Thanks

OK, I guess I don't know what you mean by "greasing" the bearing.....can you post pics?

Trying to get a pic, each auger has a Grease fitting like a car or truck.

JoeP said:

The auger, or the auger motor gear case? Never seen a zerk fitting on an auger, but a couple of members have drilled & tapped a hole in the gearcase for one.

imacman said:
JoeP said:

The auger, or the auger motor gear case? Never seen a zerk fitting on an auger, but a couple of members have drilled & tapped a hole in the gearcase for one.

The 25-PDV and 25-PDVC have the double auger system. I have a Zerk on both of my augers also. Its on the main bearing. Just greases the shaft of the actual auger. Pretty sure they all have it.

yep thats how mine is setup, Verry easy to grease. Question dex when you grease the top fitting does the grease go into the bearing and let out some in hopper side of auger ?. The bottom pops out alittle grease on the outside when filled, like a car seems rigth.

JoeP said:
......The bottom pops out alittle grease on the outside when filled, like a car seems rigth.

I would say that you put grease in slowly until you JUST see a tiny bit start to pop out around the auger, and stop. Wipe off excess if possible, and you're good to go.

Would like to see a pic of the bearing block and zerk fitting, if you could.....never seen one on a pellet stove.

imacman said:
JoeP said:
......The bottom pops out alittle grease on the outside when filled, like a car seems rigth.

Would like to see a pic of the bearing block and zerk fitting, if you could.....never seen one on a pellet stove.

Was rotating my auger's and decided to grease my bearing today. Took a pic for you imacman of the zerk fitting!

Attachments

• auger.jpg
    auger.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 752
Yep that's them. One on each auger. I hit them last year and it only took a half pump to grease them. It is only for the bearing/race. Doesn't take much. The newer style stoves (Single Auger/Top feed) that Englander makes, does not have them. Or at least thats the way it seems. According to the members that have the New style stoves

DexterDay said:
......The newer style stoves (Single Auger/Top feed) that Englander makes, does not have them. Or at least thats the way it seems. According to the members that have the New style stoves

True....my 10-cpm does not have any.

Thanks for the pic Dan

Thanks for posting pic tryed search no pic,s was trying to get my daugther to get a pic of mine but she lives in teenage time LOL. That is what my unit looks like seems easy to grease. how often to you grease it once a year at big clean up, or during season after? I greased mine runs quite compared to before.

JoeP said:
how often to you grease it once a year at big clean up, or during season after?

I would think at the year ending spring cleanup.

the bottom feed units PDV, PDVC,PI have floating bearings with zerks , the bearing is a common industrial bearing called a "pillow block" bearing , its WAY overbuilt for what we ask of it. they really do not need to be greased considering the 1 rpm rotation , but greasing them doesnt harm anything , just dont overdo it as you will push grease into the feed tube and that can "gum things up" a bit.

Mike, glad to see you back on the forum....and so the new heating season begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.