Englander Pellet stove question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keyman512us

Feb 27, 2007
North Worc. CTY MA
Hey all...Keyman requests your help..

"In my travels" I came across this pellet stove and wondered if anyone has any experience or input with this particular pellet stove: It's an Englander Model 25PDVC/55SHP10...38k/btu's...

Here's the story with it:

I saw this stove at a "local trinket place" so to speak. I asked for info... Was told "the circuit board has problems...guy had a bad connection on it and had it re-soldered...worked fine for a year and a half after that...having the same problem again". I "checked the whole thing over" (I don't know too much about pellet stoves though. After further questioning the guy said he bought it a few years ago at Lowe's for 12 or $1,300.00 bucks (how close to the truth is this?)
Does the circuit board issue sound fishy? above the "smoke port" the angle braket that is welded to the face plate is separated from the "front wall"...I checked it over as close as possible...doesn't appear to "have any leaks in the front chamber area". The rope gaskets aren't in the best of shape either...but I would term them "in operable condition nonetheless". Anyone have any kind of experience with this particular model...I told the guy I would "check back with him tommorow...since he has no idea where the back cover is.

The guy wants $200.00 for it..."I offered $150.00 no questions asked"...He said $200.00 again..."Find the back cover and we will take it from there".

Please post your thoughts...

Attachments

• IM002304.JPG
    IM002304.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 900
  • IM002305.JPG
    IM002305.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 881
...More pics:

Attachments

• IM002308.JPG
    IM002308.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 926
  • IM002309.JPG
    IM002309.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 894
This one has me wondering:

The auger motors are "held in place" with a heavy duty "Tie wrap" Is this "factory"???

Also the air proving switch has another port on it...Does it connect to something missing? Say on the back cover?

Attachments

• IM002310.JPG
    IM002310.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 854
  • IM002311.JPG
    IM002311.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 885
Brother Bart...

Thanks for the link... I'm curious. Are there any "common problems with this unit?"
Heard any horror stories about them (while I search the forum)???

Is this stove "worth the parts" even?

Key there is a 6 amp fuse on the control board wonder if it is blown?

Personally, unless you want a tinker toy, I wouldn't touch it. Mike may contradict me, but this stove appears to be neglected. Seems better to wait for the next big sale at HD or Lowes, even if that is next February.

Webmaster said:
Mike will find this thread soon and answer ALL your questions since he it tech guy full time at Englander

yep , mike found it , it looks like its been rode hard and put away wet. i suspect you would have a few component issues with that one, burn pot looks rough, as what i could see of the chamber its located in is as well. auger motor shelves are not there and zip ties arent needed. lower auger motor looks like its had a lot of heat in it, probably due to not being cleaned out sufficiently. im sure i could fix it , but im not sure i'd want to especially with new units getting clearanced to 500.00 by lowes just a few months ago. stove is 2002 model which pre-dates the auto igniter paint looks pretty rough as well. im seeing a pretty good amout of work to get this stove looking pretty and working like a champ. if you do want to pick it up and see what you can do with it , i'd be happy to help. but it looks abused to me.

Mike,
You're being nice. I see a mess. There is lots of ash build up and corrosion. Parts missing and a bad circuit board. I just bought a KOZI for $180. Had a little moisture damage in the auger, build up of fines and a loose wire. Everything else worked fine. A good cleaning and a little bead blasting on the auger and it's a kickin' stove. I would suspect you'd be looking at $2-300 for parts and a lot of time. Like Mike says there are better deals out there on new ones.

If that thing is a few years old I would love to know what his definition of a few is. Look at that burn pot. Is that build up or corrosion, whatever it its the thing has been run to death and not a kind one either. I have seen those stoves 8 years old and look fine, nothing like that. Rode hard and put away wet really doesn't do it justice. Junk, pure and simple. Keep your eyes open and buy a decent one. That one will only give you constant headaches.

Thanks Brother Bart,Elk,Web,BeGreen, Mike,Uncle Rich and Driz...for your thoughts on the subject. I had a sneaky suspicion it "wasn't all a cream puff". I'm "starting to show some restraint" as the years pass.

BeGreen wins the "coffee and donut prize" though. I wasn't thinking of putting this old ugly stove in the living room or even the basement. "Tinker Toy" was the closest reason I was going to buy it...for two reasons "test bed" for new fuel idea (Yeah yeah...I can hear you guys breaking stones now....key got another idea) but lastly as a source for canabalizing parts for "future chip fired boiler"...the two ideas are actually fairly close in nature...shhhoosh! :)

Rode hard and put away wet was my first thought too. I don't claim to know 'jack' about pellet stoves so "Thats why I decided to put a call into the experts"...glad I did, and glad they responded so quickly. Thanks once again folks.

You know what they say. " IF IT LOOKS LIKE POO AND IT SMELLS LIKE POO CHANCES ARE YOU GOT A DIRTY SANCHEZ" I feel sorry for that stove. Someone should give it a decent burial..................Offer him $100 to take it off his hands, you are doin him a favor.

I'd like to see what Corie could do with that stove.
Imagine a pellet stove that feeds bio bricks instead.
I'd get it and try out your ideas you can't do much more damage to it Key....

GVA said:
I'd like to see what Corie could do with that stove.
Imagine a pellet stove that feeds bio bricks instead.
I'd get it and try out your ideas you can't do much more damage to it Key....

This is what I would do with it.

Attachments

• smelter.jpg
    smelter.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 794
BeGreen...It's funny you posted that. The front of the complex is a "recycling center" that sells "trinkets". The guy who actually owns the stove...works in the foundry in the back...lol

Might explain why the pellet stove is so screwed up...prolly thought he could run it like a forge...lol

I'm going to wait a week(until Thursday)...the guy is "moving out of town"...if it's still there: "I'll give you $50 bucks...take it or leave it! " ...And if he says "Give me a Hundred"...Thats when I say "Ohh so thats how it is...$25...want to try to ankle me for more?"

Here's a couple pics of the place it's at...The first one shows' some of the trinkets they sell...(Watch the trailer truck coming up in the first picture)....Now notice it in the second picture.

"Errr Umm...Houston? (do) We have a problem???"lol

Attachments

• IM002134.JPG
    IM002134.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 479
  • IM002135.JPG
    IM002135.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 478
Ouch, that gives new meaning to back breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.