Englander / Summer's Heat 50SFP-12 Running hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
My stove has been running hot this year. I've had this problem in the past and have been wondering if it was chimney setup or operator error, etc.

Much forum searching and manual checking and close examination led me to believe that my chimney is NOT the problem. Then I thought that perhaps running this epa-exempt stove with nice firewood was the problem as it definitely gets worse the nicer my wood gets.

I mentioned elsewhere that I forgot to shut my stove down recently and knew it had likely overfired. Today was the first day I've been able to shut it completely down to give it a once over. I cleaned it out completely and looked over every square inch of it. It looks to be in perfect shape. I cleaned the chimney for fun, it seems to be in great shape as well.

Then I started fiddling with the air control mechanism and am noticing how loose it is. The Air control is one of the main things that really helped me make the decision for this stove. Not many epa-exempt stoves seemed to have that when i was looking.

I post this because if there are other owners out there having a similar problem then they might try this as well.

The air control "box" over the door has a screw at each end that you loosen. When you tighten them, press the box against the stove. This seals the sliding plate within that "block" against the stove tightly, really making sure less air is flowing in when it's shut down tightly.

Not that it will help a lot, but here's a picture I pulled from the manual. I had to add the screw that I'm talking about, but if you look at your stove you'll figure it out. You should be able to do this even with a hot stove, just wear gloves and be careful.

It's one of those things that is so simple it was easy to not consider it. I spent forever trying to figure out if my gasket was going or something.

Attachments

• aircontrol.jpg
    aircontrol.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 314
Nah, there's no gasket going most likely. It's just a hot burner being an exempt stove. Do what you can with the air control. When we had one long ago I used to use the flue damper to slow it down. You just have to take what it gives you.

I'm burning with it tonight and it's 100 times better now. If I close the air down completely it pretty much kills all the flame in there, even if it's running 600 degrees. Good enough control for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.