Enviro M55 Overheating and Igniter Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NC Burner

Dec 29, 2010
Sandhills of NC
Bought an M55 Cast. Real nice stove but started with a couple problems: Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Can never run over setting 3 and most of the time on setting 3 it overheats after a short time. I tried trimming down the pellet feed and the combustion to 2 or even 1, but still with heat setting 3 or more the switch under the control panel trips and I have to shut down, remove top, and currently w/out igniter - manually relight...... On setting 2 it runs OK, but I know it is well below the stoves capacity to heat our home. I believe the exhaust and intakes are all functioning properly, based on the observation that the fire and flame characteristics are responsive to control settings.

Came from factory with non-functioning igniter. You can see it glowing (as reflected in the holes in the burn pot liner), but it is glowing up inside the igniter and not nearly enough heat to start pellets.

Questions:

Is ignter supposed to actually penetrate into the hole in the burn pot liner? (The burn pot itself (heavy steel) goes over the igniter, but the igniter does not extend out far enough to actually reach the hole in the burn pot liner (stainles steel). Igniter does not seem loose or able to slide forward (and even so the glow is back up in the igniter). The burn pot and liner assembly has no real options for assembling other than they are (as in closer to the igniter). )

Can the igniter simply be defective and producing insufficient heat? I assume there is no adjustment. It is not a fuse or signal issue as it is heating up, just not enough.

Dealer is hours away and if their service support is the installers, they were completely clueless. Example: They told me I didn't need outside vent (which I just did myself after they left), and had no idea how to begin figuring out why it wouldn't light. They said "Your supposed to just plug it in and it starts". Then, "well, we gotto go, we have along drive"! Leaving a cold stove in a cold house caused them no great concern. :)

thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

There is likely a means of adjusting that igniter so it is closer to the liner and the pellets.

I'm sure that someone with M55 or Enviro experience will drop in and provide you with some information on making an adjustment.

Meanwhile I'd suggest contacting Sherwood Industries about the manner in which the install was left, and also register your complaint with the dealer.

The over fire shut down has cropped up here in a few posts as well. You might want to use the search function https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/search/

ETA: Here is one thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/65091/

NC,
I have the M55 cast insert. I have never had mine shut down due to the high limit sensor. I have ran it on heat level 5 for an hour or more a few times with no shutdowns. Something is wrong...maybe the high limit sensor is defective and shutting down the stove when it shouldn't? The other thing I've heard is that some stoves didn't come with a steel plate that covers the back half of the heat exchange tubes. I believe this steel plate keep the heat in check in the hopper area. The steel plate is part of the heat exchange tube cleaning mechanism.

The ignitor should poke thru the burn pot. But it does not poke into the burn pot liner. I think the ignitor just heats the air so hot that it ignites the pellets because there is no part of the ignitor that actually enters the burn pot liner. Also, the ignitor has an air pump that blows the air thru it. It is possible that the pump is not working or the ignitor itself is defective. Without the pump the hot air wouldn't make it into the burn pot liner. Hope this helps...

BTW, I'd definitely raise a ruckus with the dealer and Enviro about your installers. They shouldn't have left without diagnosing the problem and getting back out there to get it going for you ASAP. On second thought... if the installers were subcontracted out by the dealer, then the dealer needs to get you up and running.
Flynfrfun

flynfrfun said:
NC,
I have the M55 cast insert. I have never had mine shut down due to the high limit sensor. I have ran it on heat level 5 for an hour or more a few times with no shutdowns. Something is wrong...maybe the high limit sensor is defective and shutting down the stove when it shouldn't? The other thing I've heard is that some stoves didn't come with a steel plate that covers the back half of the heat exchange tubes. I believe this steel plate keep the heat in check in the hopper area. The steel plate is part of the heat exchange tube cleaning mechanism.

The ignitor should poke thru the burn pot. But it does not poke into the burn pot liner. I think the ignitor just heats the air so hot that it ignites the pellets because there is no part of the ignitor that actually enters the burn pot liner. Also, the ignitor has an air pump that blows the air thru it. It is possible that the pump is not working or the ignitor itself is defective. Without the pump the hot air wouldn't make it into the burn pot liner. Hope this helps...

BTW, I'd definitely raise a ruckus with the dealer and Enviro about your installers. They shouldn't have left without diagnosing the problem and getting back out there to get it going for you ASAP. On second thought... if the installers were subcontracted out by the dealer, then the dealer needs to get you up and running.
Flynfrfun

I've had my M55 insert since Nov. Had the high temp sensor trip last night for the first time. Only running the stove on heat level 3. Just got some Hamers Hot Ones this weekend. Maybe they really are that hot.

Ask your dealer to send you an adjustable auger cover and follow the provided directions. We have installed it on our Cast in the shop and it has helped with the high limit not tripping. The high quality fuel is making the original set up burn up to 70,000 btu's. The adjustable cover set on the second hole brings the stove to the 50 - 55,000 BTU's it is rated for.

Pelletdude,

I thought the auger cover that came with the stove is adjustable or is there another cover?
This video shows the auger cover on my stove.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR-pnXL9ngY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Thanks for the great replies:

My auger cover looks like Kevin C's in the youtube. It has six star screws attaching it to the hopper, and 4 holes between the six star screws (with rivets showing in the holes) which suggest possible adjustment. Does this sound like an adjustable? Do I move it down deeper into the hopper to expose less of the auger? It appears to be caulked/glued to the hopper.

It sounds like my igniter is working but the blower that is supposed to push hot air into the burn pot is not. What is the source of this forced air? Is there a fan built into the ignitor assembly or does it use air from one of the other fans? In other words, if it does not blow, will just replacing the igniter assembly fix the problem or could it be a switch or something else?

There is an air pump that has a tube from it that is attached to the igniter.

If that tube is off, or plugged, or the air pump isn't working there will be no air flow past the igniter.

I also have the M55 cast insert & had the same problem once. Delaer came back & adjusted the auger cover down & changed the pellet feed to setting #1. Also, change the setting for pellets from premium to regular. I have not had a problem since. You'll need to push the reset button, which is on the inside side of the hopper

pelletdude said:
Ask your dealer to send you an adjustable auger cover and follow the provided directions. We have installed it on our Cast in the shop and it has helped with the high limit not tripping. The high quality fuel is making the original set up burn up to 70,000 btu's. The adjustable cover set on the second hole brings the stove to the 50 - 55,000 BTU's it is rated for.

Talked to the dealer today. He said he was going to order the new auger cover, and since it's still under warranty, he'd come out and replace it. Just thought it was interesting that I didn't have an issue until I started burning the Hamers Hot Ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.