Enviro warranty and service, a perfect example

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fitting post for my number 2000....

Customer purchased a new m55 fs last december, with unit, venting and install they shelled out nearly 6700.00. Since the install and progressively over the course of the first year the high limit has been tripping to the point that the stove cannot run for more than an hour above the medium setting. The dealer went out once and told the customer the pellets they were using were too small and he needed new pellets. So the customer sold the pellets he had at a loss, ( which heis bought from6 the dealer) and bought 6 more tons....of which are also too small cause the stove is still tripping out. Over the summer the dealer went out of business and no other enviro dealer in the area will come out. My name was given by enviro and i went out yesterday...the stove needs a new convection blower which is under warranty, the fuel gate in the hooper was never adjusted and the damper is mounted fully closed..

So according the enviro, the stove is covered for 2 years parts and labor. Im thinking that im going to start to record instances like this and report them to the attorney general in the hopes of forcing manufacturers to work with independent service people. What do you think?

I don't agree with forcing manufacturers to work with anybody.....the way I see it is if manufacturers want to only go through dealers and they suck then nobody buys their product causing them then to use independents or closing their doors.

First, thank you for helping this poor guy/gal out. I'm sure they are at their wit's end. But, I think this is more about a bad dealer than the M55. The convection blower update should be a well known fix to the overheating issue. Also, you say the fuel gate is not properly adjusted. My thoughts are that with the new convection blower you can leave it all the way open since the blower will keep the stove below the high limit trip point. The only way to know is to fire it up and let it go on level 5 for hours on end and see if it trips the high limit. Setting it at anything less is just going to reduce the heat this customer will get out of the stove. This should be a simple thing to explain to the customer so that they can lower the gate if it still trips the high limit (not likely though).

Any of the major stove brands could have the same issue. Don't think Enviro is the only amnufacturer having this issue. Dealer seems to be the bad guy for not having properly trained tech's in the field! Who knows maybe he(the tech) was propely trained and just didn't give a hoot?

Scott it might be easier to become a full fledged dealer that to go the AG route. Might be much less red tape.

The problem is that manufactuers are not seeking the very best solutions for the end user and get to sell products under a disguise as alternative when in fact the become used as an utlity. The line is fine but consumers need to be taken care of. Its not just about selling. Anyone can become a dealership....if all dealerships are exclusive in service....whos monitoring the technocal ability to the consumer?

Anyone can become a dealership....

Anyone can become a dealer? I 'd say you'd have to have some sales or they would pull the plug on ya.

whos monitoring the technocal ability to the consumer?

The consumer always has the BBB on their side. Kind of like any business though. If you have lousy service, you usually don't last very long before word gets out and poof the doors close.

I'd like to nominate you as our pellet stove advocate. ::-)

Reactions: The Ds
I've seen about the same number of independant service operations stick it to people as I have actual dealerships stick it to people, in the end the only thing you have is the integrity you bring to the table with you. Its the desire to be a good dealer/technician that makes you or breaks you IMO. The problem with authorizing any number of indies is you'll have difficulty tracking what is or is not legitimate in terms of warranttee and whatnot. As an aithorized dealer, if I'm not playing by the rules I can lose my status, which is huge....no product to sell, no reatail store, no service hub...If I'm an indie, what are they gonna do stop refering me for services that my local dealer can't/won't do? Not nearly as detrimental to my business model.

It bothers me that someone can go into the hearth business, become a dealership opt to get training or not amd keep the dealership simply by selling product. In MA you are required to have a solid fuel license or unrestricted supervisors license toinstall or perform work on solid fuel burning equipment...yet most dealerships do not. I feel that every tech should have at least and nfi or csia certificate...but most do not. I have all of these yet i cannot get technical help or parts from many manufacturers. This customer is lucky that i am around...but think of all of the folks i cannot get to or never hear from. Situations like this hurt the industry as a whole. Those of you who have shops...be warned, the service you refuse now will be the customer you wish to have when american prosperity returns.

Anyone can become a dealer? I 'd say you'd have to have some sales or they would pull the plug on ya.

The consumer always has the BBB on their side. Kind of like any business though. If you have lousy service, you usually don't last very long before word gets out and poof the doors close.

I'd like to nominate you as our pellet stove advocate. ::-)

The BBB is utterly useless. As soon as a business figures out the loopholes with the BBB then it's game over. The BBB should be discontinued since the addition of internet rating sites.

Many people think the BBB is affiliated with the government, which it is not, and think it has some binding power other then sending emails. The BBB has been busted many times for improving grades for fees.

The BBB is a joke.

I hear ya delta....but if someone calls you and needs service and you arent the selling dealer, you have an out and there is no recourse from the mothership to you...but you arent offering the warranty...the mother ship is and they are basically saying that they have no dealers which are willing to work on the stove and too bad. Not our fault he went out of business...but it is their gault...they offered him a dealership. Likewise...you cannot sell product outside of your service area and not saying you...but dealerships offer the cash and carry all the time....its not about leveraging dealers or consumers for marketshare...its about doing the right thing by the consumer.

It bothers me that someone can go into the hearth business, become a dealership opt to get training or not amd keep the dealership simply by selling product. In MA you are required to have a solid fuel license or unrestricted supervisors license toinstall or perform work on solid fuel burning equipment...yet most dealerships do not. I feel that every tech should have at least and nfi or csia certificate...but most do not. I have all of these yet i cannot get technical help or parts from many manufacturers. This customer is lucky that i am around...but think of all of the folks i cannot get to or never hear from. Situations like this hurt the industry as a whole. Those of you who have shops...be warned, the service you refuse now will be the customer you wish to have when american prosperity returns.

absolutely agree. there certainly is a gap between what the consumers deserve and what they get. You know as well as I do that most of the certification and licensure broohaha is about paying fees, not about knowledge or professionalism. The end users may well be lucky that outfits like yours exist Scott, but its not that fact that your independent that makes you special, its the desire to do right by the customer. Thats not something you can teach, or word into a contract, its just in your heart or its not. Good on you man.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Scott next time you talk to Enviro tell them you got a 2006 never fired and they should upgrade it because, well just because its mine :p or lie and say that sucky dealer on 177 that went belly up screwed me lol
(wish I could type a cool buzzer noise!)

Warning******************Thread jacker alert!******************** Thread jacker alert!******************

This is a fitting post for my number 2000....

Customer purchased a new m55 fs last december, with unit, venting and install they shelled out nearly 6700.00. Since the install and progressively over the course of the first year the high limit has been tripping to the point that the stove cannot run for more than an hour above the medium setting. The dealer went out once and told the customer the pellets they were using were too small and he needed new pellets. So the customer sold the pellets he had at a loss, ( which heis bought from6 the dealer) and bought 6 more tons....of which are also too small cause the stove is still tripping out. Over the summer the dealer went out of business and no other enviro dealer in the area will come out. My name was given by enviro and i went out yesterday...the stove needs a new convection blower which is under warranty, the fuel gate in the hooper was never adjusted and the damper is mounted fully closed..

So according the enviro, the stove is covered for 2 years parts and labor. Im thinking that im going to start to record instances like this and report them to the attorney general in the hopes of forcing manufacturers to work with independent service people. What do you think?

Hi Scott

I am an Enviro dealer now so I can get those parts under warranty so please refer Enviro customers to me next time. Thanks - Problem Solved!

enviro-logo.gif

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.