Extending Flexible chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itb6

Nov 22, 2014
New York
I got a great deal on a 6" x 20' flexible chimney liner that I am going to install down an 8" clay lined chimney flue. The flue was previously used by a fuel oil furnace (replaced with direct vent LP furnace). Had a chimney sweep out to inspect clay liner and he gave it a "fair". The sulfuric acid in the fuel oil combustion products have degraded the tile over time and they are quite brittle. Anyway, lining the chimney will just make me feel a bit safer about burning wood in this flue, and having it be safe.

My issue is that the 20' flex liner won't quite make the approximately 22' height. There is a tee at the bottom which will gain me around 1 foot but it likely still won't reach. I'm here to ask some experienced folks what the best strategy for extending the flex liner? Double wall stainless won't fit in 8" clay liner... I was thinking of attaching a 2' section of black single wall to my stainless tee and then connecting flex liner to single wall and sending that down the chimney. That would leave me a little excess flex pipe at the top. The question is; How should I do this? is it safe? what are my options? Thanks so much in advance!

Thanks for the answer! I had my doubts about the black stove pipe. I called a stove/chimney retailer locally and they told me they would probably have a 2-3 foot section of 6" flex liner and a coupler in stock that I could pick up Monday. Hopefully they will come through because we are supposed to have a 2 day warm snap sunday and monday (central new york) and it might be my last chance to get this job done so I can start burning some wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.