exterior chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boothill

Apr 22, 2008
Southeast Missouri
Hello, I have a 26' exterior chimney. It is double wall brick all the way around and has a 7x9 clay liner. I have a s2400 Regency stove. I am currently burning alot of Poplar Wood that is been cut one year, and appears to be very dry. Now to my question, on the outside of my chimney about 8 or 9 ft. up it appears that one brick is wet looking and when you rub it it smells like maybe creosote. This is a new construction chimney from early this spring. How could creosote reach the outer wall of the chimney, and why only in one spot? Any responses welcome. Thanks

I would be on the phone calling that contractor. If that was made in the spring, you should not have to even think twice about a problem like that.

pen

I agree with pen. It sounds like a craftsmanship issue. Have you checked the chimney from the top down to see how much creosote is in the flue tiles? Even if there is a build up the tiles should be cemented in and the joints should not allow creosote out. Is the brick that is wet looking at the same height or close to where your stove vents into the chimney?

If you had the ability to post a pic that would be nice, I can't imagine that just one brick would be affected by some kind of leaking creosote through the clay tile, another row of brick, then the outer row of brick.....don't make sense.

Are you saying there is no other brick affected? What about the mortar, or is JUST the one brick?

Status
Not open for further replies.