F400 castine double door glass replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vmaxer

Nov 18, 2020
Antioch,ca
OK, a week or so ago, I guess a log rolled onto the glass and popped a piece off.
No sweat. Got a new one with some thin gasket on it. Got some cement as well.
Took the door off, removed the clips and glass(no gasket on it).
below it there is a groove/channel with rope gasket on it facing the outside way.

here is the question, should I cement the groove and re add the rope gasket and put more cement on that and put the glass on top of that?
Or do I just cement the groove and place my glass on it?
I think second option makes more sense to me.

Gracias in advance :)

I don’t see any evidence of gasket cement in the Chanel. I would just cement the gasket to the door.

Maybe someone else can chime in about cement in the Chanel.

Would seem to me that it would make reusing the Chanel very difficult.

Evan

image.jpg

I don’t see any evidence of gasket cement in the Chanel. I would just cement the gasket to the door.

Maybe someone else can chime in about cement in the Chanel.

Would seem to me that it would make reusing the Chanel very difficult.

Evan

View attachment 287018
Thank you so much!
Yeah me thinks too... I hope one bottle is enough :) it would be great to get my stove running again tonight.
I already was running because I popped the old piece back in, just not as good. Now it is apart, got 7 hours before I start my fire.

Really for the glass gasket the cement is just there to hold it in place until you get the glass in. FYI mine has a small piece of gasket under the clips.

image.jpg

This glass came with its own thin gasket, so now there is an empty grove.
I'm guessing I fill groove with gasket cement. and put my glass on it.
The issue with that is that the glass will touch the door metal possibly, not sure if that is a good idea.

I’d rather have it go door, gasket, glass, clips.

Reactions: Vmaxer
I did the door gaskets about 2 years ago. Easy job, really didn't need to though in retrospect. Nice to know there are some 2 door models still around. I like fact I only open 1 door to reload.

Reactions: Vmaxer
Yep, easy to do. had a good fire last night.
I didn't have too many options being in California. Used and new stock are mostly crap.
I bought the first decent stove someone would hold with a paypal deposit.
Always liked the enamel. When growing up in Turkey, my uncle was collecting old/Antique enameled stoves.