Fall in the Catskills

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catskill

A couple of pics from last weekend.

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

Very lovely. I always loved the fall colors when I lived back east. We have some deciduous trees here, but it's mainly conifers. Here's a fall view from my valley--we certainly don't have the level of colors that you enjoy back in NY. (This is taken from the road that runs behind my house.)

336999836.jpg

Beautiful! I loved the Catskills when I was in college (at RPI in Troy)... I do still get awesome color here, but that part of NY will always hold a special place in my heart.

I know that area . My sister went to Ulster State Community College...So I have been there 20+ times and it is a marvelous place.

To both you guys, those are great pics!

I looks like Cat is going to have some serious color this week, and Rockies pic reminds me that I have not been able to run off to the hills this year. I miss going there.

All I got this fall is some river pictures when we went camping last week. The trees are just acting like thy want to turn but not just yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 564
  • BPhikingoverlook9-26-08B.jpg
    BPhikingoverlook9-26-08B.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 569
Those are great pictures... We are at our family vacation home back in the Smokey Mountains Of Western NC at the moment, I just went out on the deck and took this picture... We didn't get very much color this year, I suppose due to the lack of rain we have had here in the southeast the last few years but the Smokies still have smoke...

Attachments

• Murphytripjan08002-1.jpg
    Murphytripjan08002-1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 547
Those photos are very like pictures shot in the White Mountains of Maine and N.H.

InTheRockies said:
BJ and JHall,

Very nice photos. There are so many wonderful places to explore in this world. Iit's nice to see other members' photos--it's sort of like a virtual vacation. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. I agree. I like to see scenic pictures from around the country. J's picture is one that you can look at for several minutes and see more things appear as if I was looking through the fog myself.

Since the subject of vacation came up, I'll tell where mine were taken. Both of my pictures were taken in Arkansas. The big rock is called Hawk Bill (sometimes called the Arkansas wedding proposal) and is not far from where Saw-Dust lives at near Ponca, AR. It is on public land and has a nice, shady, 1.3 mile round trip hike through the woods to see it. Just don't pull a travel trailer to get to the trail head. You take a gravel road up one of the most radical uphill climbs ever maintained with a road grader.

The river pic was taken about 20 miles south of Yellville, AR, at a very nice camp site called Buffalo Point.

Thank you for your description BJ those Arkansas shots are awesome... I have also always wanted to visit and see the Catskills, and the Rockies and plan a visit one of these days thanks for the pictures guys... A little about my picture... This picture was taken from my family property in the small Western North Carolina town of Murphy(this is where I learned all about wood burning, harvesting and splitting)... Both sides of my family have lived in Murphy since approx 1870... My Great Great Grandmothers (both sides of my family) were Cherokee Indians... My paternal Grandmother was of the AniGatogewi or wild potato clan, And my maternal Grandmother was of the AniGilohi or Long Hair clan... They were part of the several hundred Cherokee who escaped and hid in the mountains of Western North Carolina to avoid the trail of tears... They eventually gained formal recognition by Congress and were rewarded the land that forms the Cherokee Nation in Western North Carolina in 1848... Ironically both of my families left the reservation and settled in Murphy around 1870, its about 50 miles from the reservation... About 10 years ago my father and I built a small weekend cabin on his family property and this is where the picture was taken... However, don't let the view fool you, it cannot be seen from our cabin as we tried to keep the land as undisturbed as possible (we did not clear cut the top of our mountain and stick a house on it for people to see for miles around)... There is a very large Eastern White Pine Just down the mountain from our cabin (about 50 yards) that my father and his father planted some 60 years ago... This white pine is 44" in diameter at the base and I would estimate 80 - 90' tall... I climbed it as far as the limbs would support my 6'3" 235lb self to get this picture... The largest mountain range that you see in the distance is Teyahalee Bald it stands at 4600' (large for the Smokies) its about half way between our cabin and the reservation...

Here a few photos from yesterday - and a few weeks ago here at my home/farm in central New York. We're sort of in-between the Catskills, Adirondacks, and the Tug Hill Plateau - near Cooperstown. The little goofy kid isn't me - he's my youngest "new" kid.

100_2741.gif

100_0977.gif

100_2765.gif

100_2754.gif

100_2756.gif

100_2760.gif

100_2693.gif

100_2695.gif

100_2735.gif

Very nice... One day I'm gonna have myself a roof full of PV panels like that... Slowly trying to cut out the utility companies... The wood stove has already all but eliminated the need for the gas man!!! One day PV panel just might have the electric man sending me a check!!!

jdemaris said:
Here a few photos from yesterday - and a few weeks ago here at my home/farm in central New York. We're sort of in-between the Catskills, Adirondacks, and the Tug Hill Plateau - near Cooperstown. The little goofy kid isn't me - he's my youngest "new" kid.

Ah, your youngest is a cutie. Thanks for sharing the photos--that's a beautiful area. I'm impressed with the array of solar panels on the barn roof. How much energy to you generate?

InTheRockies said:
Ah, your youngest is a cutie. Thanks for sharing the photos--that's a beautiful area. I'm impressed with the array of solar panels on the barn roof. How much energy to you generate?

It's a 5400 watt array - grid-tie with a large battery backup. We don't get a lot of sun around here - so the same system would probably make twice the annual power out in the southwest.

Before I installed, I cut our average montly electricity useage down to 400 KWh a month. Then installed the solar and it makes 5-10% more each year than we use.

Status
Not open for further replies.