finished hearth extension <finally>

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2010
Bowling Green, Ohio
First, I want to thank everyone here for their knowledge/wisdom/ and understanding. When I visit this forum, it almost feels like a family compared to other forums (where it seems more about a bragging session). Had it not been for this forum, I would of never attempted this. I'm posting this because I know there is, or will be someday someone also "in my shoes" as this post will be on the net for a while. I started this hearth extension about 2 years ago. I was clueless. This project while "small" compared to others has taken so long due to delays (uncertainty, fear of screwing up, and summer work schedules). Per manual/this board's instructions, I wanted to do it right.
I found some Micore up in Detroit (why is it that when you need something nobody believes you and tells you there is no such thing/product)...or you get told that's not what that's for.
Last winter while "test fitting" a log was dropped while loading and really put me in a bind. I now know to not walk on tiles without thinset on them-a little stone or anything under them will snap em.
Additionally the tile store went out of business. Luckily I found a distributor near Akron, OH that let me match some tile. I struggled a bit with how to finish the edge and trim. This project just seemed "like nobody else's" lol due to the height/carpet transition. After playing around on the table saw, I managed to make up some "7" molding for the edges. I couldn't figure out how to finish the carpet because it did not look right "cut to the edge." Tack strip didn't really do anything, because there wasn't much to stretch. I ended up putting a shoe down, and I hope this holds the carpet! Overall this project helped me gain some knowledge about my tools/ some confidence in my abilities, and the understanding that no matter how I did it...somebody would or will down the road say "who the hell did this".
So I've attached pics of the final deal. Sorry for the long rant, but if you happen to read this and think "there is no way I could do that"....please reread my post. Once again, thanks to all!

Attachments

• hearthextension.jpg
    hearthextension.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 290
Sweet. That came out really well. It lloks so good that now you'll want to reface the whole thing with that nice looking tile.

That came out very nice . . . a job well done to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.