Fireplace Insert Enviro or Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swalz

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2008
Newark, DE
I would like to install an insert next year into my fireplace and like the Harman and also really like the looks of the Enviro Milan. My wife likes the Enviro Empress so that may be and option if the price is right. My Harman dealer here is now selling the Enviro line which I was considering but could not find locally til now.

I Know how the Haman's work but was looking for an insert that did not take up to much of the hearth; the Milan takes 8.4 inches. I would like to here from people who have the Enviro pellet stoves and how they like them, especially the Milan or the Empress.

Thanks All!

the Milan and Empress are the SAME stove just differnt look
the Milan is about $125 less than the Empress.
the Milan has a Square panel were the empress has a curve the is only 28" tall at the corners

I can say anything about the Harmon because I dont sell it
but the empress is Very quite and heats a average size home very well.

hearthtools said:
the Milan and Empress are the SAME stove just differnt look
the Milan is about $125 less than the Empress.
the Milan has a Square panel were the empress has a curve the is only 28" tall at the corners

I can say anything about the Harmon because I dont sell it
but the empress is Very quite and heats a average size home very well.

Maintenance wise how easy are these stove to clean?

I've had an Enviro Meridian insert for 4 years now and have been very happy with it.

As for cleaning, it's very easy.

I've had the Enviro Empress insert for the past 2 weeks running 24/7. It's very easy to clean. We just vacuum it out every few days and scrape the burn pot a little. Takes about 5 minutes. I think we're cleaning it before we even really have to. We just cleaned the glass for the first time and the soot came right off with glass cleaner and a quick wipe down. It heats really well, and we haven't needed any oil yet with temps in the 20's at night. We do have to fill the hopper about 2x day for it to keep our house in the 70's during the day and the mid-60's at night. Trying the thermostat today and it works fantastic on both the high and the low mode. Have a lot of trouble running it on level 1 or 2, but on the thermostat the low mode works fine so doesn't cause any problem. We liked the looks of the Empress, and the fan was much quieter than the Harman, although still rather loud on the high setting. I think the Harman is also a very good product. We went with the Empress for looks and the quieter fan when it really came down to it.

Hey - I installed the Enviro Empress Insert about a month ago. Got it for its looks and reputation. Running it almost 24/7 for last 2 weeks and it heats, no issues at all.
Keep reading all these people mentioning problems with the 1 and 2 settings. Well -couple of points.

Get a low read MAG off ebay for about $25. and set the air per the spec.

Only issue we had was one brand of pellets ( Greenway ) that gave problems on the low setting. Since then, burning Cleanfire and L&G;, and I tell you #1 is fine and 2 is roaring. Only used 3 a little even when in the low 30's.

For all those I see posting about smoldering pellets and pellets building up to make the fire go out on the Low settings:

We found out our cause: !!! Put the burn pot in backwards after a cleaning.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Stove is great once the right pellets were used. Cleaning, 3 min if that. Turn it on, set a level, thermo or not( in fact I wired mine with a dpdt elec switch to the motherboard so I could go from thermostat to manual without taking the shield off a moving jumpers.) and walk away.

Only problem I have now is, do I watch the Pellet stove fire or my wood stove fire in the den??????????????

Well have to chime in on the Harmen Accentra Insert. Is in it's second year of flawless operation. It will burn everything I toss in the hopper...even the crappy Athens Me pellets that I seem to be stuck with this year.
This is my second pellet stove...my first being a Lopi insert.
The Lopi was very pellet quality sensative. It also has a very small ash catch...so cleanings were too often.
The Harmen has a very large ash catch. Could burn amost a ton of quality pellets before having to empty it (if you pushed it). of course the Athens Me pellets are a different animal. Do I sound down on these pellets? Yes that would be me.
The pellets out of Athens ME stink. They are not premium grade pellets.

Thanks for the replies; seems like the Enviro stoves are a good choice and if all works out right and I can afford it I will have one put in next year.

I will have to go with the one my wife likes or she will always remind my that she didn't want that one. :)

My Harman Accentra insert is great. My only issue with it is the blower seems fairly loud to me. The good part is it's a variable speed blower so I can cut it back to a very low setting and it's quiet enough (though I suspect I'm not maximizing the heat). I've heard the Enviro is quieter. Anyway, good luck, sounds like you will be getting and enjoying the Enviro. I would have looked at them if there was a closer dealer.

tmiraglia said:
My Harman Accentra insert is great. My only issue with it is the blower seems fairly loud to me. The good part is it's a variable speed blower so I can cut it back to a very low setting and it's quiet enough (though I suspect I'm not maximizing the heat). I've heard the Enviro is quieter. Anyway, good luck, sounds like you will be getting and enjoying the Enviro. I would have looked at them if there was a closer dealer.

I realy like the Harman insert but need one that takes up less hearth space and the Enviro Milan and Empress do and I like the looks. Just not as much info on them as the Harman and I do have the XXV but the insert would be in a better location. I have the XXV in the Family room that was an addition and is not as well heated with the central heater. Was really happy to see that the Harman dealer is now carring the Enviro line, the problem when I ask them question you could tell they were not to familar with the Enviro line but that would be a given since they just started selling them.

harman almost $2000 more here in canada . i know harman has great quality reputation. but.. empress quieter fan for blowing air into room.when i do insert for living room emperess or milan it will be.

SparkyDog said:
Well have to chime in on the Harmen Accentra Insert. Is in it's second year of flawless operation. It will burn everything I toss in the hopper...even the crappy Athens Me pellets that I seem to be stuck with this year.
This is my second pellet stove...my first being a Lopi insert.
The Lopi was very pellet quality sensative. It also has a very small ash catch...so cleanings were too often.
The Harmen has a very large ash catch. Could burn amost a ton of quality pellets before having to empty it (if you pushed it). of course the Athens Me pellets are a different animal. Do I sound down on these pellets? Yes that would be me.
The pellets out of Athens ME stink. They are not premium grade pellets.

Sparkydog

does your harman go on & off when you set the temp?? or does it go to a low setting(1) and run until needed??

Its like i can set my stove for high and low or high then off till needed.then it will start again.

Thanks John

Status
Not open for further replies.