1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

First night without a fire since October!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ScotO, Mar 13, 2012.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Last night was the first night since October that we didn't have a fire. Downstairs never dropped below 69. Upstairs stayed in the mid 70s. I'm sure we aren't out of the woods entirely yet, but I'm gonna miss the old stove going non stop. Its a part of our family!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yeah, a lot of folks say that burning the stove gets old toward the end of the season but I've never experienced that. This year I've got a new stove so the luster hasn't worn off yet. :)

No burning here for a while; Forecast says highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s for a week at least.
  3. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    With the wacky weather this year we'll probably be burning more in May than in March.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

We'll be building a night fire here and there, but for the most part we are in the same pattern as you....

That's a fact, weatherguy!! I don't mean to rain on anyone's spring parade, but I have a bad feeling we're gonna pay for this mild winter and end up with a cool, wet summer......I sure hope I'm wrong!
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    My last load was Sunday evening. I just walked in the door and looked at the stove out of habit. It's still warm, still enough coals to light off a load. It was too warm to touch for long this morning. I might burn a small one before bed. Low is supposed to be in the thirties tonight.

I'll miss it.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yeah Jeff, the kids were mad at me this morning (I had already left for work) because they came down to the kitchen and there was no fire!! We'll be building one too, around 10:00 tonight just to be able to take the chill off of the house in the morning....
  7. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Yes - seems like a real fast slow down in burning here. Was burning normal until about 3 days ago, then to one small fire in the morning for the past three days. Looks like small fires to take out the chill for at least the next 10 days or so. Wow. Cheers!
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    It is 80 upstairs with the windows open at six thirty in the evening. 75 down stairs. I kinda sorta think there won't be a fire like last night.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

wife and the kids are all looking for sweatshirts and it's still 69 degrees in here! We're so used to it being in the upper 70's! Guess I'll be building a small one tonight.... %-P
  10. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    Agreed. My friends keep giving me the one finger salute, but I've been saying that too. The rest of March here in PA according to Accuweather, Weather Bell, NWS, and local guys all say above normal to record warmth. Two different local guys have mentioned the the chance for a "bookend" season. We had Snowtember and they see a possibility of an Easter cold blast with snow. Kind of an amateur weather geek; my gut tells me this warm dry winter might mean the opposite for summer.

Time will tell but I've been leaving the propane take care of things for the last week. 8:32 and still 67 out and 79 inside. I love it.
  11. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    One weather pattern I have noticed, at least here where I live, it never rains on Easter. Maybe a shower in the morning, or late afternoon, but never cancelled an Easter BBQ. This has been tracked last 40 years by myself.
  12. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Stove was cold this morning, tonight it was 65* in here with high 30's projected for tonight. I've got a small fire going now and it will probably be the last for a while. The 10 day is showing some days with temps in the low 70's which is absolutely nutty for this time of year.
  13. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    I hate when the fire is out...even if house temps are comfy....it just ain't the same...
    Damn...I am gonna burn till its 90 degrees out....maybes even run the 30 with the a/c.... :bug:

I have become this way from hanging out with you people too much....you guyz have created a monster...
    :ahhh: :lol:
  14. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I hear ya there, Gamma! I was wanting to throw another log on this morning and wife was already telling me NO!! :bug:
  15. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Last night was the first night since the Fall I didn't bother with a fire . . . 72 degrees in the house and I was too tired and lazy to light a fire. A bit chilly this morning though.
  16. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Burning 24/7 here. With nights in the 30's looks like we will be for at least the rest of the week.
  17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I had the Liberty cranking along at 650 last night, still getting in the mid 30's at night so we have been burning one fire at night.

swampy
  18. Hiram Maxim

Hiram Maxim Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    Here in Detroit we havent need heat for almost a week!

been in the mid 70's during the day

Its almost like Northern Virgina!!!!!!:)
    ScotO likes this.
  19. NSDave

NSDave Member

Loc:
    Halifax NS Canada
    Still burning here; but the weather is warming up
  20. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yes it's been that way here too, HM. Totally insane, I can't remember a winter or spring that had this long of a mild stretch......I fear we're gonna pay for it come late spring into summer...
    Hiram Maxim likes this.
  21. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I built a fire tonight and last night and during 1 morning this past week. Temps look mild the next seven days, and will finish de-winterizing the boat and hopefully get out this weekend. Be well!
  22. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    I cleaned out the liberty last week because when it starts to get warm outside, the ashes inside cause a creosote smell in the house but last night I had to break down and get it dirty again and have a small fire because it was only 70 in here. I burned some scrap 2x4's and some small pieces of plywood(of course one piece at a time because that stuff burns scary hot). Took it up to 83 with 700 stovetop and blower on low, outside temp of 53 and decided to call it a night. High was 75 here today and still 76 in here from last nights fire.
  23. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I may build one to take the chill off this evening, it's 65 in here now and I guarantee that "da Boss" is gonna have "high beams" in the morning if I don't. Not that I don't like the "high beams".....;)
  24. burleymike

burleymike Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Idaho
    For over a week now I have not had a night fire, just a pallet wood fire in the morning and another small one before bed. It sucks doing a cold start up in the morning and evening but it keeps the house nice and warm and not hot. Now we are stuck in a cloudy/rainy weather pattern which I hate. I want the sun back.
  25. ecocavalier02

ecocavalier02 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ct
    lit my first match since october yesterday to light a fire. now today high 60's and then 70's and 80's this week. Not looking forward to it. i just hope we do have a cool summer. The bugs are already out and its going to make for a miserable summer.