First Time Buyer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brokenback

Mar 15, 2021
Oregon
I've narrowed our choices down to 3 different wood stoves. We live in a 1600 square ft home well insulated with a open floor plan in Western Oregon. Either the PE Super 27, PE Alderlea T5 or T4 or the Quadra-fire Discovery 2. Help us decide.
Thanks

Of course research the stove reviews here, But get the manuals to understand the installation requirements. Hearth R value is a big one, Some are ember protection. Thats fireproof material. Others require R value malarial, There are designs for this but it is something you should know before you pick a stove.

Reactions: Tjm and brokenback
The tax credit reads: "The credit is a reduction of total income tax owed. This is a non-refundable tax credit available for individuals who pay federal taxes." Well that doesn't apply to me. So which stove should I be looking at?

Freestanding or insert? I’m not well versed in this yet but I’d say the first question is cat/hybrid vs non cat and if you have a dealer in the area you’re comfortable with. After that how long of a burn you’re looking for vs max output.
I’m likely going with a blaze king insert becausemy old stove was hard to make it theu the night without traveling to restart it from scratch in the morning. lol he output will be a little less than my old one but I think we’ll use it more overall especially I the shoulder season because it won’t burn us out if the kitchen. Wit the old stove if it wasn’t below 45 or so I’d convince myself it wasn’t worth burning.

The tax credit reads: "The credit is a reduction of total income tax owed. This is a non-refundable tax credit available for individuals who pay federal taxes." Well that doesn't apply to me. So which stove should I be looking at?
My preference is toward the PE stove for the stainless firebox components, ease of use and servicing and simplicity. Secondary air regulation helps this stove have exceptionally long burn times for the capacity. The Alderlea adds more mass which means less room temp swing and the unique trivet top for almost infinite cooking temps. It shares the firebox with the Super.

Reactions: brokenback
We are leaning towards the Alderlea just haven't decided between the T4 or T5 with a open Floorplan (great room) @ 1600 squarefeet. Oregon doesn't really get to cold.

I'd go for the T5. The square firebox is more flexible for loading and burn times will be longer. In milder weather just burn half-loads.

Reactions: brokenback