Flu through poured concrete wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffd

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2007
Virginia
What are some Harry-home-owner methods for getting a hole cut through a poured concrete wall in a basement for a flu? Any tips other than drilling a zillion crooked holes in a 10" circle then wailing on it with a sledge hammer?

You better have a 1/2 inch hammer drill and even then its gonna be a real hassle. Its the old time vs money thing but if you can rent something it will likely save you headache. You will find your drill won't drill well through the stone and that there is a lot of it in there drilling 25 holes though it can be done. That crap is really hard to be sure. One thing on the rental. You might be able to do a half day rental which could save you bucks. Secondly if you end up with something that is working like chit because the bit is dull ect march your ass right back there and make them give you a good one. I once had to cut 14 foot of such wall out of my garage to change the location, orientation of the door due to a contractor screwup. Idiots gave me a Stihl gas demo saw with a chit spark plug. As it turned out I didn't have a small engine about to pirate a plug from and the thing ran like chit and drove me nuts for 4 hours laying in the dust working like a fool. Dont' let em pawn garbage off on you.

I just recently had to drill a hole through my friends basement for a septic line with a hammer drill and a concrete hole saw. It took both of us taking turns about 4-5 hours to get through it.

Try like heck to find someone to drill the hole for you with an industrial unit. It will be worth every penny...

With the risk you have of dammaging your foundation it is worth buying a bit or two then renting a large hammer drill to do this. My brother did this last year and it came out very well. He not only drilled the holes in a circle but he then made an X in the circle. (12O'clock to 6 and 3O'clock to 9). After drilling he used a large chisel to get out the first piece the remaining pieces came out with a few taps.
If you don't think that's reasonable, then go with a contractor who you know has done it before.

When the masons put my chimney in the had to put a thimble in mypoured wall and I think that they used a hand chisel and hammer.

easy way to do it,, rent or borrow a demo saw 14 inch or larger, lay out both sides exact in a square 1 inch bigger than flue, cut and burry the saw as deep as it will go on both sides, 14 inch will cut 4 inch, if its 10 inch wall with a few good hits of a 10 pd hammer it will pop out 12 inch wall will need a electric jackhammer to help
thats how i do them

Status
Not open for further replies.