Forgive me forum for I have sinned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I ususally stay away from oak unless it falls in my lap. However, I haven't worked in some time (contractor) and responded to an ad on CL advertising hardwood recently cut down. I figured I would check it out. The worst it could be was poplar or a steep incline. Got there and its red oak that I can pull right next to, already bucked in nice small rounds. Figured I'd take some being I was already there. Hope I am still living in this house in two years when its ready! Only took about a face cord.

Attachments

• red oak.jpg
    red oak.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 824
gzecc said:
I ususally stay away from oak unless it falls in my lap. However, I haven't worked in some time (contractor) and responded to an ad on CL advertising hardwood recently cut down. I figured I would check it out. The worst it could be was poplar or a steep incline. Got there and its red oak that I can pull right next to, already bucked in nice small rounds. Figured I'd take some being I was already there. Hope I am still living in this house in two years when its ready! Only took about a face cord.

gzecc nice score, I hope the economy and your business picks up. It's been a slow 2-3 years here and not showing any signs of picking up, we lost GM,Reynolds with Alcoa being the only industrial jobs left.

zap

Whats the sinned part?, I thought you bought a pellet stove :lol:

OK, you got some nice firewood. Now tell us all about your sinning. :p Rick

gzecc said:
This sin is I usually don't take oak. It takes too long to season. I seek out Locust, Ash, Hickory, Sugar Maple, Cherry.

Your penance is to split it by hand.
Ha.

maplewood said:
Ha.

Horizontally. :coolsmirk:

Say five Hail Fiskars my son.

maplewood said:
Ha.

Can't be penance, thats the only way I split. Maybe split one handed?

Its Oak! Way too easy to hand split. For penance, you must hand split Elm.

Update,
It is very easy to split, I am surprised, although I cherry picked the pile for straight grains.
I never split wood so small before. Split it like 2x material. Check out the baby oak pieces.

Attachments

• oak baby.jpg
    oak baby.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 634
Splitting green Oak is nearly child's play. Don't have to do much more than drop the maul. I'd say it is an acceptable trade off for the extra seasoning time.

i think the real sin is you only took a face cord %-P

gzecc said:
gzecc said:
This sin is I usually don't take oak. It takes too long to season. I seek out Locust, Ash, Hickory, Sugar Maple, Cherry.

LOL perhaps its a Jersey thing as I also avoid Oak unless its super convenient :-O

Go back and get more!

wood dope said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Go back and get more!
+1 You'll love that wood in a couple of years! Will bring back memories.
Unfortunately, with the economic conditions the way they are, I don't know if I will be able to continue to pay the mortgage in this house for many more years.
Its unfortunate, I love this house!

gzecc said:
wood dope said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Go back and get more!
Unfortunately, with the economic conditions the way they are, I don't know if I will be able to continue to pay the mortgage in this house for many more years.
Sorry to hear that, this economy sucks, I hate to see people struggle with money issues, I hope it works out for you.

prairiefire said:
i think the real sin is you only took a face cord %-P

Thats a big 10-4

oldspark said:
gzecc said:
wood dope said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Go back and get more!
Sorry to hear that, this economy sucks, I hate to see people struggle with money issues, I hope it works out for you.

Look here young man economy my behind you could split and sold that wood there are very few woodburners who know what seasoned wood is now help your economy go get the rest put you an ad on CL and see what happens Oak for Sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.