Gasket Life?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jutt77

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2010
Bailey, Colorado
I'm curious how long the 24/7 folks' door gaskets are lasting before needed replacement? It seems like that part takes a lot of abuse. I couldn't find anything about this in the manual or by searching the posts.

My stove is listed in my signature and I have been and will be burning around 24/7 during the winter.

Thanks,
J

Depends on the stove. My Olympic likes it changed about every 3 years. My Jotul is on year 3 right now and it seems perfect - I won't expect to replace it for a few years minimum...

Jutt77 said:
I'm curious how long the 24/7 folks' door gaskets are lasting before needed replacement? It seems like that part takes a lot of abuse. I couldn't find anything about this in the manual or by searching the posts.

My stove is listed in my signature and I have been and will be burning around 24/7 during the winter.

Thanks,
J

yours will need replacing when the dollar bill test fails.
typically sooner than with other models due to flat face design

Wood Heat Stoves said:
Jutt77 said:

Thanks,
J

yours will need replacing when the dollar bill test fails.
typically sooner than with other models due to flat face design

Thanks Dave (and others) that makes perfect sense. One of the reasons I love this forum.

I found this doing a quick Google search for dollar bill test. Is it accurate?:

"Check the fiberglass gasket around the doors and window glass. The gasket is designed to keep your
wood stove air tight. Use the dollar bill test. Open the door and place a dollar bill over the gasket and
close the door. If you can pull out the dollar bill then it is no longer air tight and needs to be replaced.
Worn out gaskets can allow carbon monoxide to leak into your home."
- http://www.thelograck.com/clean-your-wood-stove.html

Jutt

Wood Heat Stoves said:
http://woodheatstoves.com/how-to-replace-a-door-gasket-on-a-wood-stove-p-12076.html

Helpful video. Thanks again Dave

My original gasket lasted for 10 years but the aftermarket gasket I replaced it with won't last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.