getting ready to install my first ever stove but.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

champscorner

Sep 7, 2009
Midwest Ohio
had a couple of install questions. I just got in an Englander 10 cpm and am getting ready to start building the hearth pad tomorrow but in the mean time was wondering if there was any differences in an up & out(through the wall) venting as opposed to an out then up as far as drafting, more heat output, or any pros or cons to either? Also macman referred me to a forum member who sells simpson dura vent(thanks again macman),who I am waiting for an email from, but do I need a special type venting with this being a multi burner? I plan on burning anything I can in the future and want to get it right the first time but of course need it to be cost effect to me as well. If I decide to go the up then out route what kind/brand of paint is necessary to hold up to the extreme heat? As far as the hearth pad I'm just planning on 2x6 on 12" center with concrete board and ceramic tile, is there any problems with this? I may be revisiting the whole hearth pad issue next summer but just want something to get me through the winter right now. It's coming too fast!!! TIA for any help

Champ,

the easiest way to get a hold of Eric at Kinsman Stoves is to call him (440-536-0198)...he's been busy, and hasn't been on the forum too much (he just started handling 2 new stove lines....Harman & Quads, I think).

Tell him MacMan (Pete) referred you, and make sure you tell him that you may be burning corn in the future, so you get the right pipe. Also ask him his opinion of the up & out vs. the out & up. IMO, it's the same thing. If you don't want to see the pipe, do the out & up.

If you do the up & out, any High Heat stove paint will do. I used Rustoleum Hi Heat satin....worked great...got it at WalMart. The galvanized needs to be "pickled" before painting. PM me if and when you need to paint, and I'll tell you what the Tech at Simpson told me to do.

Can't think of any difference between up-and-out vice out-and-up, except your personal preference, and whether you want to paint the pipe or get black pipe. When painting any high temp paint will do such as grill paint.

Sounds like you are good on the hearth, as it is no different from what you'd do for a fire place or wood stove.

for the pipes you can also check prices at http://www.dynamitebuys.com/
He's a great guy to deal with and his prices might be the lowest out there, that's where i got my stuff and am very pleased..

Status
Not open for further replies.