1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Getting wood inside

Post in 'The Gear' started by burnt03, Oct 2, 2012.

1. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Convenience can be costly.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Dave I nearly pooped my pants when I saw this! This has to be one of the scariest pictures I have seen here! Maybe I am overreacting but I had to say something.

Ray
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/home-made-log-cart.79003/

I modified a 600 lb dolly to haul wood from out back off the racks up to the house. This year I am using a log rack on my front covered porch to store the wood. Last year the warm winter created a lot off bugs crawling around driving us bag crazy sooo this year I am playing it safe and keeping all the wood outside.

Pete

Attached Files:

raybonz likes this.
  4. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Pete, did you make sure to use pallet wood on that?;lol
    Nice.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

No I solld my soul to the lumber yard because I wanted grade a treated just to be safe :) ;ex
  6. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    tcassavaugh, I like the looks of your hearth down there. That looks really cool. Maybe a little clearance would be better. But very nice man. Do you use the basement for anything else? Entertaining area, mancave/beerdrinkingroom?
  7. turbocruiser

turbocruiser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Rocky Mountains Majesty
    Uhh, times two! Yikes! I typically really try not interfering in other people's preferences but man o' man I think that is incredibly dangerous (and possibly also "buggy"). Isn't there somewhere further from the stove to stack that stuff?
    raybonz likes this.
  8. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv Minister of Fire

Loc:
    west virginia
    i use a large wheel barrow bring in enuf wood to last for 3 to 4 days and put it in my sun room....those fancy carts look nice..but i ould think the old fashioned wheel barrow would be best bet
  9. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    never had any problems being too close or falling over.....but thanks for the concern. i checked it quite often for temperature when i first started stacking it in the early years just to make sure. never more than just warm to the touch. i use the basement occasionally. i have a flat screen a wi and a stereo. long ago when the kids were home, we had their bedrooms down here. we still have two guest rooms, but have opened it up a bit with some minor remodeling. actually, i think that was when i went in for some hand surgery and wouldn't be able to get any in. none down there now, i'll certainly take into consideration not stacking it so close or high....i appreciate the safety tips.

cass
    raybonz likes this.
  10. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    It does look like a fire waiting to happen.
  11. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Yes no room for error there.. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with such a potential hazard.. I like the stove and hearth set-up just not the huge amount of wood that could topple onto the stove so easily.. I am only concerned of what could happen..Occasionally I will use an indoor clothes drying rack and I place that so it can't land on the stove too..

Ray