glass is getting pretty dirty..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
hey guys..my glass is very dirty and i've only been burrning a week..I tried to clean it with windex but it wont come off...any ideas?

Mix some ash and a little liquid detergent, mix it to a paste..(just an ounce or so will be enough)......rub in circles on glass.

Make sure you use plenty of fine ash out of stove.

You can mix a small container of this and keep it sealed and use it often.

Then try to burn hotter fires.

Robbie

Yeah, no offense towards your burning technique, but you're either:

1 - Not burning hot enough.

2 - Loading wood too close to the glass.

3 - Burning wet wood.

That stove, and it's little brother the 13NC have airwash systems which work quite well in almost every application I've seen. On my 13, I haven't cleaned the glass in at least a month and there isn't squat on it.

Hotter fires, dryer wood.

My Englander 13 really keeps the glass clean except for a slight whitish haze that wipes off easily with paper towel and Windex. After a slow overnight burn the glass may have a black spot from one of the logs touching it but disappears after I get it going hot again. I've never burned wet wood so I can't comment there.

Yep. Ya need to heat that puppy up. When there is anything on the glass of my 30 it is just a haze that you don't even know is there except that when you wipe it off it leaves stuff on the paper towel. Last year I was using Windex but I haven't used anything but a towel wet with water this year.

Kick'er at five hundred stove top temp and the glass will be as clear as, well, glass. Same with my Jotuls.

Yes BB and others are right about getting it hot, as far as getting the residue off the glass; wet a paper towel and dip it in the ash, rub, wipe with another clean wet towel and follow that with a dry one, do that again if needed.
I learned this from another post way back and was totally amazed at how well it works.

If you can't get that crud off very easily even with the ashes trick just burn a ripping hot fire and it should burn right off. Thats my favorite way to clean the customers glass.

I've read about the ammonia in windex not being good for the glass, but I don't know if this is true or not.

Velvetfoot,

I am convinced that the ammonia in window cleaners etches the glass. I have used both ammonia vs non-ammonia cleaners over the past 10-11 years.

When I used ammonia-based glass cleaner, my glass developed a haze that never comes off, starting with the first year. I replaced my glass twice before I finally called a manufacturer of ceramic glass to ask about how to correct this. The glass for my stove is $135, ouch.

Any chemical types out there that can technically explain the reaction with ammonia?

Dan

There are cleaners available, wherever you buy hearth products, designed specifically for cleaning that stuff. They work exceptionally well. I actually scrape my glass with a razor blade and that is usually good enough. If I have some extra time, I clean with a cleanser - do not remember the name.

Number 2: Don't take to heart all the comments regarding 'just burn better wood' and burn it better. Stuff happens like having some moisture in your wood, like having to shut your air down too soon because you have to leave, like a log rolls close to the door, like you are exhausted and need to go to bed....

Just do your best to burn correctly and with good wood - learning from your mistakes.

As stated, the trick to clean glass is a good hot fire. When it does get dirty, the damp paper towel dipped in ash is great for cleaning.

When I do a really thourough cleaning (every six to eight weeks, depending on the weather) I use a solution of hot water and vinegar. I use that on the glass, steel, hearth and any other hard surface in the general area (otherr than wood). Follow it right up with a dry towel and everything looks great!

Rutland makes a cleaner called Rutland White Off. It works excellent on ceramic glass front on stoves, inserts, fireplaces. It also is highly recomended for ceramic cooktops on kitchen cook stoves.
It cost about five or six dollars a bottle which will probably last you till you die.
Never, ever, ever, use an amonia based product on ceramic glass, it will, as mentioned earlier, etch the glass permanently. Also, never, use any type of abrasive cleanser, it will scratch the glass.
I do like the wet paper towel/ash paste method. Sounds like the Rutland White Off.
John

I like to use ultra-fine steel wool. You don't have to wait for the glass to cool down, and the ultra-fine steel wool doesn't scratch the ceramic glass. I've never used a different grade of steel wool, and wouldn't really recommend using any thing more abrasive than what I have found to work just fine. I have never ended up with any scratches doing this, and there is no wet mess to wipe away. If you do it while you have a decent draft in the stove any fine ash you created by wiping the glass just gets sucked into the stove.

Fire Bug said:
Rutland makes a cleaner called Rutland White Off. It works excellent on ceramic glass front on stoves, inserts, fireplaces. It also is highly recomended for ceramic cooktops on kitchen cook stoves.
It cost about five or six dollars a bottle which will probably last you till you die.
Never, ever, ever, use an amonia based product on ceramic glass, it will, as mentioned earlier, etch the glass permanently. Also, never, use any type of abrasive cleanser, it will scratch the glass.
I do like the wet paper towel/ash paste method. Sounds like the Rutland White Off.
John

Yeah - that is the stuff I have

Ultra fine steel wool? Very intetesting and could be quite effective!

I've had great luck with Rutland Hearth & Glass conditioner; it cleans off the mess and leaves a silicone layer on the glass to make the next cleaning easier.

PA. Woodsman said:
I've had great luck with Rutland Hearth & Glass conditioner; it cleans off the mess and leaves a silicone layer on the glass to make the next cleaning easier.

I didn't know about the silicone layer it leaves behind, but it does do a good job on both my LP gas stove and fireplace insert ceramic glass with very little effort on my part.
I would imagine the residue on a wood burner ceramic glass might be a bit more harder to clean.
Is there a Rutland glass cleaner and conditioner or is there only the Rutland glass cleaner?
I use the Rutland White Off Glass Ceramic Cleaner. It is tested and qualified by Schott Glaswerke for use on Robax glass ceramic.
John

First year Ihad heavy sooty black crap on my glass and cleaned it weekly. Now that I have the stove down and dry wood, I just clean off fine ah particles with a moist paper towel. Once you learn your stove you should be a ok!

When the 30 is really rolling you can actually sit back and watch it burn the crud off of the glass and see the glass slowly clear up.

Fire Bug said:
PA. Woodsman said:

Is there a Rutland glass cleaner and conditioner or is there only the Rutland glass cleaner?

John

It's called Rutland Hearth & Grill Conditioning Glass Cleaner with Silicone, item # 84. This stuff is great!

Regular "Easy Off" foam oven cleaner takes it right off, just wipe with a paper towel, it's cheap and can be gotten at any grocery store.

mtnxtreme said:
Regular "Easy Off" foam oven cleaner takes it right off, just wipe with a paper towel, it's cheap and can be gotten at any grocery store.

I am not to sure I would want to use any type of oven cleaner on any type of ceramic glasss without having some type of adverse results.
Be carefull of this. I would imagine oven cleaner is almost like some form of acid and will permantly damage the ceramic glass sooner or later.

Fire Bug said:
mtnxtreme said:

I am not to sure I would want to use any type of oven cleaner on any type of ceramic glasss without having some type of adverse results.
Be carefull of this. I would imagine oven cleaner is almost like some form of acid and will permantly damage the ceramic glass sooner or later.

All I can say is I've been using it on my glass for like 10 years no prob, so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.